Windows 7 Changing default save locations for everything

dooley888

Good afternoon

Summary:

How to I change the default save location of any saved file from C drive to D drive?
How to delete current user and program folders on my C drive?
Info:

I am trying to tidy up my computer and need some assistance with default save locations.

I have 2 drives, A 60gb SSD (c:drive) and 1TB standard HDD (d drive). I have my OS on the C drive. I currently have 12gigs of information between two default folders named programs and user. Also when I download, files automatically go to c drive/users/andrew, I get no say in the choice, I want all files going to D drive.

All I want to do is remove them from my C drive and have the default locations for any file saved to be to the D drive. This is because I only want select programs, i.e the ones I use regularly to be be on the much faster SSD c drive.

Any help would be great!

Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ANDREW-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model P55-USB3
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz, 2794 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F8, 10/08/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Andrew-PC\Andrew
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.49 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.96 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.91 GB
Page File Space 4.47 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

What you are trying to do is good practice. Default and download and save locations need to be set for each individual application. All downloads from within your browser can be set from the browser settings. Existing files on your C drive will need manually be moved to the ne locations.

To expand on what Pat has said...

Yes, what you intending to do is wise. IE9 gives choice, by default; when downloading the yellow bar appears w/ Run Save Cancel... hit the scroll arrow by SAve, select Save As & point the item to where you want it to go/be. Other browsers, Chrome, FF, et al, by default send things to Documents or Downloads folders unless & until their settings are changed to "Always ask me where".

Existing data get moved by Copy/Paste OR Drag & Drop & this is easy & slick by using SNAP... open the existing location & the destination location simultaeously. One note here, if making (new) folders for things, the names cannot be identical...vary it slightly, for example, if Pictures, call the destination folder 'Pics'.

Cheers,
Drew
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Clients Welcome

I too have a small ssd drive. I have directed my downloads to go to my larger D:\ drive and they do go to that folder but it seems when I double click to install them they and installed on my SSD drive my C:\ drive. Maybe I am on the wrong thread but I have been reading this one and found it very interesting.

it seems when I double click to install them they and installed on my SSD
The install program you have downloaded will be stored where you have directed but when you run it you should normally expect it to be installed on your system drive - the ssd drive. This is normal and it is not a good idea to change it although most software installations would allow you to do so if you had good reason (as in an installation which needed a very large disk space requirement).

Back