Windows 7 "Choose Profile" in Outlook 2010

cjb4

Extraordinary Member
I am running Outlook 2010 32bit with Windows 7 Pro 64bit. After installing google outlook sync (and subsequently uninstalling) an annoying popup window continues to appear when I start outlook. It asks me to Choose Profile. I have only one profile named "outlook". When you click "options" you can check a box that says "check as default profile" This does not make the annoying popup go away. It still pops up the next time you start outlook. After searching the web for a fix I found one promising work around. Access control panel then select "mail" here you go in to outlook profiles and check make outlook the default profile. The problem is this doesn't work with Windows 7 64bit and Outlook 32bit. In the control panel "mail" is grayed out and when you click on it nothing happens. Does anyone know how you can access Outlook profiles with this set-up?
Thanks in advance.
Oh and there is a very long thread in Google forums with many fixes, all of which I have tried, none of which have worked. it is obviously a problem caused by google outlook sync but google has remained silent.

I do not use the Google sync application, so I have no experience with how it works. But I did find this Microsoft reference which does mention using a 32 bit view and other instructions on setting up profiles. Maybe something will stand out.

If that doesn't help, do you know it is Outlook looking for a profile or Google? There are circumstances when a utility has been uninstaled, where parts of it remain. Did Google have an uninstall utility especially for this purpose? If you open Task Manager, do you see any Google type processes or services still running?

I suppose I could add, that removing the Google utility also could have removed something necessary for your normal install, or possibly changed where certain directories were kept. If nothing else, on some installations, in the Programs and Features window, you are given the option to repair an install and maybe Outlook or Office has that option.

Last edited:
Thanks Saltgrass, I can't get to the profile, it doesn't work when I click on 32bit mail.I tried repari that shuts down when I run it says can't find a file "proof.msi". Clearly something is corrupt but not sure how to fix it.

I do run Outlook 2007 on an x64 install, but it seems to be different. But I was looking at the help file about how to modify a profile.

It says you cannot modify or change a profile while Outlook is running. You need to go into the control panel-user settings, and mail, if you have one. My help file only goes to Vista, but check yours.

I do not seem to have a proof.msi file, but when I search for it I get several MigApp.xml files that seem to be related to where you mail is stored and other such things.

Maybe someone else will have better info...

I see it is possible to edit a .prf file. Maybe if you put yours in Notepad, it might show some entry you could remove.

Reference this page explaining how it works. I do not know, at the present time, what entries might need to be changed.

I also saw where the calendar sync was asking for a profile, but I suppose you saw that...

This partly re-inforces why I avoid downloading, installiing or using google stuff; anyway, that said...

>Programs & Features, make sure all google stuff is out. If necessary can be removed in Regedit.
Next
> P&F, Find MS Office 2010, select it & up @ the top Uninstall & Change will appear. Select change & then Repair. When it finishes requires a reboot. Then Outlook will run in (its) Safe Mode. When it is closed & re-opened it will be in normal mode, again.

If, problem still persists (after removing google stuff) may have to uninstall & re-install Office.

It's more likely google causing the problem than, Outlook itself.

If you can hold on for a couple of days, I will see about trying it myself with a trial version. But I am still testing something right now and have to finish.

It looks like my Outlook set-up is corrupted. When I try to repair I get a message that it can't find proof.msi and asked to be directed to its location. I did a search and proof.msi doesn't seem to exist on my machine. When I try to office from the original disk it won't run. Shouldn't I be able to repair from the original install disk? I suppose that means I have to uninstall first but can't afford to be down at the moment to try that. What a mess.

I now have Outlook 2010 installed and just about ready to test. But some questions first.

Do you remember if you had Outlook open when you uninstalled the Google app? And the name of the app is "Google App Sync for Outlook"?

I noticed the app does not mention Windows 7 SP1, maybe just out of date.

The proof.msi seems to be related to showing you have Office installed. It is mentioned in the registry.. Does it ask for a DVD or some install source? Have you tried to install again from the original source, and does it give you a repair option with that?

I went to the control Panel and the Mail icon and look at the profiles. Mine only shows one profile as yours does, and does have the options you mention. There is also only one profile in the registry under the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles key. I checked all the folder options for where mail and other things were stored and mine were all on the local system. I only have a pop account, so you may show something else.

I will be downloading the Google app in a couple of hours if you have not found a solution.

Last edited:
No I made sure it was closed before I uninstalled.
No it is Google Calendar Sync file name googleCalendarSync_Installer.exe. AppSync is part of a series of paid apps for Google Business tools.
With proof.msi it asks to be pointed to a location for the file. I was unable to locate it with a global search.
When I tried to run Office 2010 from the original install disk it would not run.
I will take a look at the registry.

Sorry, but I gave you a bad reference for the Outlook profile. It is in the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

If you need to point to the Proof.msi file it is in this Hidden directory.

C:\MSOCache\All Users

Look inside one of the folders inside one of the numbered folders.

Last edited:
It appears I found the registry entry that controls that option. Check the registry if you can't get it turned off to see what yours shows.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options

PickLogonProfile if it is 0, no popup and 1 you will

I found two locations for the option (current users and users), so if you change one and it doesn't hold, try changing the other. You can, of course find them by looking for PickLogonProfile under Values and you may need to uncheck the Match whole string only box.

Saltgrass you are brilliant! Such a simple fix but it works. There is a whole series of proposed fixes in Google Forum but this is the only on e that works
Thanks for you help on this it is much appreciated!

Back