Windows 10 Chrome Cleaning system question

Fenway16

Honorable Member
When I go into the "privacy and security" settings for chrome, an option for cleaning comes up - "cached images and files" - does anyone know what that includes? Is this an option that could result in deletion of too much stuff? I am always hesitant to do this part of the clean up for that reason. It is 300 MB. Thanks.

I would say if you're not hurting for space don't bother, but it would likely clear out this cache
C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

After looking through the data in a hex editor the data_# files are databases that point to each f_###### file. Worst case the next time you visit one of those sites Chrome will just have to re-download the content.

Thanks so much for info. Not hurting for space so guess I'll leave it alone.

You can go ahead and delete the cache files and images it wont affect much.

Solution
I use Link Removedr and it does the same for all browsers. It's a one and done deal.

I uninstalled that a while back as it was hacked as I recall. I will have to see about it now. Thanks.

CCleaner is now basically adware as it will spam you. Like I stated in my previous reply if you don't have space issues there isn't really a need to clean up the disk. Storage Sense should handle most of the common locations that have been problematic in the past. Cleaning Chrome is fairly pointless as it will re-cache content pretty quickly unless you run Chrome in non-caching mode.

I've used it for 15 years now.....never heard of it being hacked. I've heard it was bought out by Avast. They've added their touch to it.....some bloatware. It still does what I need it to do.
it will spam you
How? I've not seen any popups or adverts or emails of any kind.

I stopped using it long before the popups started. They may have changed that; however, Avast has been in the business of collecting and selling user data. They were recently caught for just that so spam is very likely although none directly linked to their data sale practices.

I stopped using it long before the popups started. They may have changed that; however, Avast has been in the business of collecting and selling user data. They were recently for just that so spam is very likely although none directly linked to their data sale practices.
Gotcha!

Back