Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

I think what needs to be said is that everyone is entitled to their opinions. I agree Microsoft has made a terrible decision and will lose some customers from this. Yes there are third party programs you can get to emulate the classic start menu. One way or another the menu will be available to those who want it that is what really matters. And yes Braulio Good Luck Man

Stupid decision by Microsoft

While overall I agree that the new start menu is nicer, it doesn't allow me to use it the way I used classic. If I'd known about this change, I definitely would have stayed with Vista--and am considering rolling back, despite having purchased W7.

I'd be fine with the new menu if I could create some hierarchical shortcuts that I could quickly access via keyboard. I don't want a start menu with 20 individual items "pinned" to it. I want my two categories that I most often need--development and graphics apps--in two convenient menus at the top of the start menu. Instead I have to type to search for each app by name, often 5x as many keystrokes to get to the app I want. This is an improvement how, exactly?

I'll try the third-party replacement menus to see if they're any better. But, once again, Microsoft makes an idiotic usability decision....

PLEASE give us back the Classic Start Menu!

I have Windows Vista, and I have set up all the programs I regularly use on the Classic Start Menu in a list indexed by 0. 1. ... 9, and then by A. B. ... Z. (I just dragged the program to the Start Menu and renamed it, like "O. Omnipage".)

I can now get to any program I want by TWO keystrokes: WindowsKey + OtherKey. :p

Apparently on Windows 7, I will now have to fiddle around with a whole series of keys, or else take my hands off the keyboard and reach for the mouse. :(

I have no problems with Microsoft giving us all the choices in the world, but WHY do they muck up something that was so straightforward and simple for people who know how to set up a computer? WHY do they force me to use a mouse when they previously had perfectly straightforward keyboard shortcuts? :mad:

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Microsoft, give us back the Classic Start Menu option, and let us set up our computers the way we want to, not the way Big Brother tells us to.

I should have added that the lack of folders is another other huge problem.

Some of my entries in the Start Menu are folders, not programs, and open another list of programs. For example, all my Windows Contacts are arranged in 10 individual folders within an `Addresses folders on the Start Menu, so that that I reach my Relatives Contacts folders with the keystrokes:
WindowsKey, `(LeftQuote), R

I want that flexibility to use folders as well as programs on the Start Menu - all with three keystrokes.

I'm about to teaching 2 people once a week, how to create Power Point presentations, the machines I'm using have Vista and use the Classic Start Menu, the 2 people who I will be teaching have had a quick run through, were Power Point is and both picked it up quickly and found it easy.

Now say that the place where I'm teaching switches over to Windows 7, not only has my time been wasted to teach them where Power Point was under Classic Start Menu (where they now can find it on their own) but they're going to be confused were it is now, and since they're only in for an hour a week. when it comes down to getting their Power Point presentation slides ready, half the next lesson could be spent teaching them were Power Point is again, when they could be getting their slides ready

With the new Start Menu in Windows 7, it's click on the start menu button or orb---> click on 'All Programs'---->scroll past the pointless programs at the top before you find the folder you want---->click on 'Microsoft Office'--->click to open-----> click on Power Point, its all about clicks or scrolling to find a folder or program that you want.

Wth the Classic Start Menu, it's click on the start button or orb--->point the mouse 'Programs'---->point the mouse to 'Microsoft Office'--->hover over Power Point and click to open. it also has other folders in plain sight, even moving the outside of 'Start Menu' or 'Programs', still shows the folders and options unless you click the desktop or something else

I've been using Windows 7 on and off for a few weeks now, and though I like the look of Windows 7, the one thing that making me not stick from using Windows 7 is the Start Menu, why?? its cluttered.

• I don't want or wont use most of the default programs that are there at the start.
  • I don't want to scroll to find the folder I want
  • I don't want to click to open a folder or then have to click to close it to open up another folder.
  • I want to be able to have the folders at the top and programs that probably won't use below.
  • And why should I have to move the folders into position manually??? If I want the folder to be shown by name, I should be able to do this with 2 clicks (right click to show the menu, left click on "Sort By Name")
I did take part in the Windows 7 RC and wish I sent feedback to Microsoft stating that the Classic Start Menu would be a good thing to keep but I uninstalled it and deleted after finding out that there was no way to change the Start Menu, I wonder if Microsoft listened to the people who want the Classic Start Menu to be kept as it was easy to find folder or programs? it seems that they never.

Though I got Windows 7 for free (yes it's a legal version downloaded from the MSDN site). I will simply not use it or recommend it to anyone else at the moment), I am happy to stick with Vista until they make the Classic Start Menu available either as an optional update or downloadable off the website, someone a few pages back mentioned that if you don't like it then don't buy it, i agree but same could be said if they make\made the Classic Start Menu available, if you don't like it, then you dont have to use it or don't have to download it but make it available for the people who like it. Even if it's revamped to make it look better (i.e. the same tree layout but with different colour schemes or icons)

I have tried using a 3rd party app to get the Classic Start Menu in Windows 7 but have faced problems, apart from the lack of no right click option, it also messed Windows 7 up to the point I had to re-install it again. why should I have to mess up my PC for something I like\want? if I wanted to do that, I'd download a virus.

Have you ever noticed or thought about it...

You occasionally see Classic cars. Some one who has always enjoy and grown to charish them is (still) driving one. (I wonder if I (really) need to say more here) But they don't actually ignore change or progress, they just love what they have. They care for it w/ great TLC to keep driving it. For those vintage car buffs, driving & owning 1 & sharing w/ fellow vehicular nostalgia freaks... it is shere joy.

Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"
You are missing the point here! Classic menus are not like Vintage cars. Classic menus were more functional than the new menus. Just because classic menus are older; does not mean that they are inferior to the new menus. What you are saying is akin to telling someone to get used to driving his new car with the new SQUARE wheels!:confused:

Rather than continuing the urination festival in here, I hope I can ask questions that'll make the new start menu more productive FOR ME..... I understand this W7 start menu is VERY customizable so I have a couple things I'd like to have it do differently. Just need to know how:

1. I have a program group for Microsoft Office. Installed by Microsoft Office. It contains all the individual Office programs. All very fine..... BUT, it is very inconvenient to have to rummage down into the "All Programs", the scroll to the "Microsoft Office" group, then open the group, then scroll down to the Office program I want. How do I pin or move or somehow get this group to show up on the front page of the Start Menu so I can single- or double-click on the "Microsoft Office" group, have it show my Office programs, and select the one I want. AGAIN, I want to move the whole GROUP to the front screen and be able to put in in the location I select. How do I do this?

2. On the "All Programs" screen, how do I sort everything so everything in a GROUP is first (for example, Accessories or Microsoft Office) and all the programs NOT in groups are below that? Sorted, of course, alphabetically, first by group alpha, then individual program alpha?

Just these two trivial alterations would improve my productivity, so how do I make these changes?

Rather than continuing the urination festival in here, I hope I can ask questions that'll make the new start menu more productive FOR ME..... I understand this W7 start menu is VERY customizable so I have a couple things I'd like to have it do differently. Just need to know how:

1. I have a program group for Microsoft Office. Installed by Microsoft Office. It contains all the individual Office programs. All very fine..... BUT, it is very inconvenient to have to rummage down into the "All Programs", the scroll to the "Microsoft Office" group, then open the group, then scroll down to the Office program I want. How do I pin or move or somehow get this group to show up on the front page of the Start Menu so I can single- or double-click on the "Microsoft Office" group, have it show my Office programs, and select the one I want. AGAIN, I want to move the whole GROUP to the front screen and be able to put in in the location I select. How do I do this?

2. On the "All Programs" screen, how do I sort everything so everything in a GROUP is first (for example, Accessories or Microsoft Office) and all the programs NOT in groups are below that? Sorted, of course, alphabetically, first by group alpha, then individual program alpha?

Just these two trivial alterations would improve my productivity, so how do I make these changes?
You know that other hand you have...the one that isn't on the mouse. Use that hand and team up with the hand that's on the mouse and use the search bar at the bottom of the new start menu. I could use that to open any program twice as fast as you could with the classic start menu. Not to mention, now that you can pin programs to the taskbar you rarely need to ever use the start menu.

It's not that the new start menu is inefficient, it's that the old people can't figure out how to be efficient with the new start menu.

Formula for success: Winkey>Type five letters of the program(Ex. "Notep")>Hit the enter key and magically notepad appears. Much faster than Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad on the old menu.

And if anybody is gonna say, oh I'm too lazy to type, then that's your problem not microsoft's, don't blame them.

Drew, thanks for the attempt at the question..... If I can impose on you could you please do a drag and drop onto the front screen then double-click the program group to open it in the start menu so you can get at the individual programs... How'd it work out?

And Kyle, I'm sure your mommy and daddy think you're just the smartest person in the room, and demonstrate it by being condescending, pompous, and arrogant. But, I'm not sure a simple question of using what minimal configurability is available to make something more productive for me, is deserving of the level of vitriol embodied in your response. It does, however, remind me of why us "old" people get so annoyed at products designed and built by people that think restrictive, narrow, and confining tools are great because they "force us to change when left with no other choice."

In any case, if you can actually contribute an answer to either question that'll enable me to use the tool in a more productive manner, great. Otherwise, please go away so hopefully someone WILL provide an answer. And if that answer is "No, it's not even THAT configurable", then I'll be one of those people that "changes when left with no other choice."

Drew, thanks for the attempt at the question..... If I can impose on you could you please do a drag and drop onto the front screen then double-click the program group to open it in the start menu so you can get at the individual programs... How'd it work out?

And Kyle, I'm sure your mommy and daddy think you're just the smartest person in the room, and demonstrate it by being condescending, pompous, and arrogant. But, I'm not sure a simple question of using what minimal configurability is available to make something more productive for me, is deserving of the level of vitriol embodied in your response. It does, however, remind me of why us "old" people get so annoyed at products designed and built by people that think restrictive, narrow, and confining tools are great because they "force us to change when left with no other choice."

In any case, if you can actually contribute an answer to either question that'll enable me to use the tool in a more productive manner, great. Otherwise, please go away so hopefully someone WILL provide an answer. And if that answer is "No, it's not even THAT configurable", then I'll be one of those people that "changes when left with no other choice."
...they try to force you to change because the new thing is better. Stubborn people just won't accept that there favorite little thing is obsolete.

I told you how to use the new start menu. just type the damn thing into the start menu. That way you avoid both of your problems. Winkey>Type "word">hit enter and tada its all good.

If you really won't use the new menu like it is supposed to be used, then just use one of the third party classic start menu emulators. Or use the pinning feature.

OK, then I've got something goofed up.......

When I drag the Office group to the front screen and double-click to display the contents, it opens up a whole Windows Explorer window..... What parameter do I need to change so it displays the contents IN the start menu?

I'm currently using Vista Start Menu, but I'd really like to get the built-in stuff to work so I'm not reliant on 3rd party things like this...

Phooey........ I was hoping it was something in the configuration........... Oh, well, I'll just have to get used to all the mouse clicks and multiple levels and searching to get at stuff......

I'll play with the quick launch..... I've got a half dozen things down there already so I can just add some more.

Back