Windows 7 Clean instal how?

MacNala

Extraordinary Member
I am trying to do a clean instal of Windows 7.
What I want to do is clear ie format the hard drive and then instal the OS.
What I get using available options is a copy of my old OS (Vista) in a folder(library) along with other debris on my C drive.
I have tried booting from the DVD but with the same results.

How do you get it to offer to clear the hard drive?

What options do you get when you place the ISO file in the DVD-ROM?

Did you burn the ISO correctly?

When installed while running the previous OS or the recently installed Windows 7 a single message dialog box appears.
Install Windows
One option
Install Now
there is a link to a Help and Support page which talks about Options Upgrade and Custom

Install Now: loads temporary files and shows a dialog box which gives two main options
Go online to get the latest updates for installation (recommended)........
Do not get the latest updates for installation........

Clicking the former downloads updates and then shows the license terms.
Accepting these then shows a further dialog with two options
Upgrade
Custom

Selecting the latter then shows a dialog with the (in my case) two disks with partitions,
C: and D:
Selecting C: and clicking Next gives a sub dialog which states
The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will able to access the inofrmation in Windows.old, but you will not be able to use your previousd version of Windows.
OK or Cancel
Cancel returns you to the drive selection main dialog.
OK does what it says it will install Windows 7 keeping the old files...

What I want is to have the option to reformat the drive and instal.

If I reboot the computer with the instal disc it gives exatly the same options with a less customised screen resolution and character size after asking about language, location and keyboard. It also results in the same as above.

Your second question is superfluous.

What I am planning to do in the absence of any suggestions is to use a bootable CD OS and reformat the C drive then try again.

Last edited:
When you see the partition display, on the bottom right is a disk option button or something like that. Click that and it will give you the option of reformatting the selected partition. As long as you do not want to keep your old data, it should work, but I have not tried it.

Choose Custom
Thanks for the suggestion but I have already outlined what happened.
Saltgrass's suggestion was much more accurate and to the point.
When you see the partition display, on the bottom right is a disk option button or something like that. Click that and it will give you the option of reformatting the selected partition. As long as you do not want to keep your old data, it should work, but I have not tried it.
Thanks it is amazing what you don't see when old eyes are presented with minute text. It appears much larger when booted from the CD.

Last edited:
Could you post a screen shot of Diskmgmt to see what operating systems are on what partition and see if one says, Boot, Primary, Crash Dump, etc?

Go to Start > Run, and type Diskmgmt.msc

Hold down the Alt + PrnScrn keys and post the attached screen shot here for review.

I am sorry I could not wait any longer. I have reformatted the drive using UBCD4Win and installed Windoows 7 on an empty drive. Any dumps I could do now would be misleading. Any review would also be meaningless.
This thread should be marked SOLVED or DEAD.

Back