Windows 10 Clean Install of Windows 10

rjordan

I cannot reset my computer as the attempt always fails. I believe I am missing some system files. The restore application also fails. Windows 10 was upgraded from Windows 8 via download. So I do not have the registration key or whatever. So what solutions are available before taking it in for repair?

Download the windows 10 media creation tool, create a dvd or usb and windows will just activate.

Microsoft keeps a record of your motherboard ID and uses that when you reinstall windows to allow you to register it.
If you change your motherboard then you have to buy a new copy of Windows.

Not Neccesarily.
It may depend on the manufacturer. I have changed one or two Dell motherboards lately. It is there preference, rather than investigate individual motherboard item problems.
On every occasion, when logging in with the users MS account, They have been automatically activated again, with no input. In the motherboard delivery package in the even of extreme problems, there is even a new key in order that the user may start over.,
Nigels solution should work, but, important, at the beginning of the installation, do NOT put in a key, it is not required and will fault your installation.

Back
Top Bottom