Windows 7 Clean install Win7 x64 NVIDIA problems

mark4265

I have had problems with clean install of WIN7 x64. I have just done a clean install (third or fourth time) I have not loaded anything else. I updated my GTX260 video card with latest NVIDIA driver. Reboot, BSOD. I tried removing the NVIDIA 3d program as recommended in another thread. Still BSOD. Below is my dmp file. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R with latest BIOS. Graphic Card is BFG Tech Geforce GTX260. View attachment 062910-21715-01.zip

This is my first time uploading dmp file so if I didn't do it right let me know.

thanks
Mark

Wow. Been dealing with this specific error a lot lately. It's a 0x116 TDR Timeout Error for the video. As I always say, it is not being caused by the actual video driver itself. Changing versions or trying others is not going to help. (It only could help when driver in use is from like 2008 or so.)

You are now using this version:

Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Thu May 14 16:48:07 2009

Ehhh...that's a little bit older. It's generally good practice, especially for video cards no matter errors or not, to be running the latest version. Here it is to install from NVIDIA's site, so please do so:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 257.21 WHQL

--------

Let's look at other drivers to update which can only help or actually solve the issue:

This guy is your Realtek network driver:

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009

As you can see, it's a bit older from pre-RTM times. Please update using this link:

Realtek

------

Your Agere software modem driver need to be updated to the latest you could possibly find:

Code:
agrsm64  agrsm64.sys  Mon Nov 10 10:01:35 2008

------

If you still have crash dumps after bringing attention to the above things, please post a new dump. I will have other suggestions automatically, and possibly other things about the new dump.

Good luck and please keep us informed in any case.

This crash is slightly different. It's its cousin stop error 0x117 which is also "VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED".

Unfortunately, the code itself is very difficult to diagnose. This, directly from the mindump:

Code:
VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (117)
The display driver failed to respond in timely fashion.
[COLOR=Red][B](This code can never be used for real bugcheck).[/B][/COLOR]
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa8005b1b4e0, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff8800ffdaf9c, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g owner tag).
Arg3: 0000000000000000, The secondary driver specific bucketing key.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Optional internal context dependent data.
It could only be helpful to install the latest DirectX for June 2010:

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) download from Guru3D.com

Failing that to be helpful, I would use CPU-Z to find out the exact RAM modules in use. Then visit the manufacturer's site for proper timings, voltage and frequency.

Once this info in known, then set the system bios manually using it. When booted to Windows, you can check CPU-Z's memory tab to see if it is correct, according to manufacturer.

Otherwise, it may be heat related. Try using Rivatuner to slightly downclock the memory/gpu and raise fan speed to max while playing a video game, as a test. Another good test would be to open the case and blow a large room fan inside while playing a game.

If no crashes under these circumstances, the 0x116 and 0x117 are being caused by heat.

If crashes while fan is blowing, then not a heat problem and we could probably look past that being an issue.

Edit: I looked up your video card and noticed it is overclocked out of the box. I would bet that downclocking as a test is not going to produce errors. It is high chances the factory overclock is not so well, in your particular system/environment. Try eliminating heat and too much mHz on the gpu as a cause.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I will go ahead and follow your instructions. I don't think it is heat as I have had this computer for several years with no problems. I typically run the fans at low to medium speed, I just stepped them up to high speed. Also in regards to heat, the computer fails first thing in the morning when I turn it on.
I was able to find a newer driver for the modem (2009 I think)
Thanks for your help. This is the kind of thing that can be very frustrating.
Mark

This is the memory I have:
Model Brand Crucial Series Ballistix Model BL2KIT12864AA804 Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Tech Spec Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB) Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Cas Latency 4 Timing 4-4-4-12 Voltage 2.2V Heat Spreader Yes Features SLI-Ready Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory

According to CPU-Z shows 5-5-5-18

This is from the AMD forums about the errors. It also applies to all videos cards, including NVIDIA's.

AMD Game Forums - ATIKMDAG.sys problems and TDR FAQ

If you have any type of cpu overclocking going on or a weak/insufficient power supply, these are also possible causes for the errors.

I also recommend letting CCleaner clean your pc's files and especially use it to clean the registry.

I'm puzzled....so what's new?.... It seems to take several attempts to start my computer and get to the desktop. It usually stops sometime after the "welcome" page. Once I get to the desktop I can use the computer all day without problems. Here is this mornings dmp file.

View attachment 070210-21668-01.zip

Did you go into the bios and set the memory voltage to be 2.2v, manually? Because if you didn't do that yet, it is using 1.8v. This would then almost guarantee to be the issue.

So...set the bios to be 2.2v for memory voltage. I especially say that because of your cold boot problems.

Chris,
I really appreciate your assistance. I am not totally clear on how to set the memory voltage. This is the motheboard I have:
GA-P35C-DS3R (rev. 1.x) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual
In the Bios they have something called MB Intelligent Tweaker. Within that is an option for SYSTEM VOLTAGE CONTROL (Auto or Manual). Setting that to manual allows adjustment of various voltages. For the memory your choice is NORMAL or +.1v,+.2v...up to +.7v.
So is "NORMAL VOLTAGE" 1.8v? To get 2.2V I would need to set the memory to +.4v?
Sorry to be so lame.
Mark

No, not lame at all. It's a very valid question and good to be careful with things like this.

Yes, normal voltage for DDR2 is 1.8v. Your calculation to set it to +.4v to achieve the 2.2v necessary is correct.

Make that setting +.4v and save the bios settings (usually f10, then y to do so.) Boot to Windows and perhaps things will start being really well. It's an educated guess that it will. Good luck and please keep us informed.

Chris,
Really appreciate the help. No luck with bumping the voltage. I went and found a old HD4550 radeon card I had. Stuck it in and everything works. Now I'm wondering if something is wrong with the GTX260 card. On start up I would usually get to the "Welcome" screen, then the display go black then nothing. About half the time it would come back to the welcome screen or maybe flicker a couple of times, again then freeze. Sometimes it would even get to partial desktop with the taskbar and black background, but again freeze. Sometimes I would get a BSOD sometimes it would just freeze on welcome screen or black screen or partial desktop. If I got BSOD it would say something about problems with video display adapter or something to that effect.
Well at least with the Radeon, if it keeps working, I can get some other work done.
thanks again.
Let me know if you have any further ideas.
Mark

Back