Windows 7 Clean Install with Upgrade Version

Bubbalou

Previously I stated I performed a clean install on a clean harddrive from bootup.
While it worked at that time, it did not this time. I booted up and loaded a Clean install of Windows 7 by unchecking "upgrade" and not entering the CD Key until I decided to activate. This did not work two days ago. Everything booted up just fine but at activation and upon entering the CD-Key at that time it was rejected due to "you cannot perform a clean install with this version of Windows 7" or something to that effect.
Either:

a. It worked at that time one month ago and Microsoft closed the "hole"
b. There was some portion of Windows XP showing on one of my drives.
c. I was dreaming
I tend to lean toward "a." in this matter.

Previously I stated I performed a clean install on a clean harddrive from bootup.
While it worked at that time, it did not this time. I booted up and loaded a Clean install of Windows 7 by unchecking "upgrade" and not entering the CD Key until I decided to activate. This did not work two days ago. Everything booted up just fine but at activation and upon entering the CD-Key at that time it was rejected due to "you cannot perform a clean install with this version of Windows 7" or something to that effect.
Either:

c. I was dreaming
No holes have been closed by M$, you can still do a clean install with an upgrade disk. Unless you change a registry key after install, you cannot directly activate on the first install -- you have to install the upgrade on top of itself before you can activate. It isn't clear that you tried to activate on your first "successful install." So, your second install results don't contradict the first unless you failed to give the whole story. I hope your souls are aligned.

There are at least two ways to do a clean install and Win 7 will accept the upgrade key, first time, everytime. I've tested the methods several times. Check my blogs.

There is a sticky thread here at this forum that the moderators have set up that tells you the exact steps to tweak your registry so that the upgrade key will be accepted.

Microsoft has said that workarounds to use the upgrade key for a clean install are legal.
Microsoft Says Windows 7 Install Workaround Is Legal - PC World

Microsoft explains where ei.cfg is located and how to
edit it in their technical library Published: October 22, 2009... the day win 7 was released.
Windows Setup Installation Process

We keep telling y'all but, happy to re-itterate...

Custom install, don't put in Key or Activate
Re-insert W7 disc & run "Upgrade" from w/in W7; (now) insert Key & Activate the "Upgrade"
You run & Activate the Upgrade on top of the (now) existing clean install of Windows 7.

Thanks,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

Good Info! Thanks Drew

Either:

c. I was dreaming

You can't activate a Clean Install with an Upgrade key.. ;) Had you performed the second install (being the Upgrade over top of the Clean Install you did initially) it would have worked.. :)

You can't activate a Clean Install with an Upgrade key..

I've done it, nothing to it. Works first time every time. Microsoft says workaround is legal... as long as you have a legit copy of XP or Vista. Microsoft explains where ei.cfg is found and how to
edit it in their technical library Published: October 22, 2009. Same day Win 7 was released.

You can't activate a Clean Install with an Upgrade key.. ;) Had you performed the second install (being the Upgrade over top of the Clean Install you did initially) it would have worked.. :)

Thank you. That is correct I did not perform a second install before activating. In my eyes, it is the same amount of work installing Windows 7 upgrade twice as it would be to just install Windows Xp then the Windows 7 upgrade. If you do not agree please advise.
Thanks
Bubbalou

Terry, all your links in your sig appear to point to the Win 7 forums not your blogs?

Terry, all your links in your sig appear to point to the Win 7 forums not your blogs?

I didn't change anything. The entire forum was redesigned and many things don't work like they used to. You'll have to go to my website to access the information. Link Removed - Invalid URL I'll try to change my tagline so that it doesn't point to nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom