I want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Not Clean install)

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation' started by silverman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. silverman

silverman Honorable Member

I am almost ready to install Windows 10 on my PC that’s currently running Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

I have only installed Windows 10 on one computer this was a Toshiba laptop. At the time I would have liked to have done a fresh install (deleting all the previous Windows 7 and more importantly all the Toshiba features that seemed to causing me so much trouble).

During the installation that went on for several hours, I never saw anything that gave me a choice for Clean install or Upgrade. Perhaps I missed it.

I have to say I was surprised that it did an upgrade and as a result all my settings, email set-ups remained untouched. The computer worked better that it did when new.

Now my question, this time I wish to do an Upgrade (as it did with my Laptop). I want to upgrade and NOT Do a fresh install. How can I be sure it does that!

I am a little apprehensive about the whole procedure as this is my main computer. I have several email accounts and losing all them alone will give me hours of work, something I don’t want. I have done loads of backups, just in case.

I was disappointed with the process before, Windows did not seem to give any indications as to the progress of the installation. It just completed (I think in about 5 hours) and it worked well, very fast and I was very relieved.

Anything I need to know before I start?

2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

With the free upgrade there is no option to do a fresh install, so there is no way to screw it up. Once the upgrade is done you can do a fresh install if you want. There is a media creation tool on Microsoft's site.

3. Ralph Bromley

Ralph Bromley Honorable Member

It should upgrade rather than fresh install, however do be cautious and back everything up.
    Failures do happen so backing up all your data (the OS included!) is a recommended step.

4. silverman

Thanks for that Neemobeer & Ralph I will start the process shortly and try and keep an eye pout for any questions in the process.
    I will report back when completed

5. silverman

One question, over the last few months Windows has been asking me to upgrade and the box that shows this message gave me two options. i think from what i remember it was 1. download and install later or 2. install now. I have just started the process from "Windows update" and it's currently "Downloading Windows 10. Will it at some stage ask me to install?

I have other computers to do (before end of December) , would it be better to download first then update later. How long does each stage take? it would help me on future updates if I did them separately, I have allocated myself about 5 hours for today's upgrade. It difficult for me to get the time in a normal working day?

For interest it's been running for about 25min ((downloading windows 10) and showing 33% done!

#5 silverman, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  6. Ralph Bromley

Ralph Bromley Honorable Member

Well it should have installed by now

7. silverman

Fantastic, it completed in 2 Hrs and 17 min. A much better experience that before. Show progress all the way through (0 to 100 with download). I have a few odd things to sort out, mainly to do with the UK English Language (can't seem to get it to download and Cortana, I expect they are related.

I will perhaps do another PC computer and see how that goes.

8. silverman

Sorry Ralph, Just went to the forum website to see what happened and my forum message was still sitting there - un-sent. (see above).

A further update, after completing the above I moved on to a third computer, this time I just downloaded it and left it till the following morning to do the installation. I did not keep an accurate time but it was slightly quicker than the other one.

I spent more time messing about with Cortana, the only way I can get it to working is my not selecting UK English, so I am currently setting my computers to US English. I did download the UK English but that still did not work. I will have to have a look at the forum pages to see what the problem is.

I noticed today that an icon has apprered on my desk top that I think would change my installation to a "Clean Install" I certainly don't want to do this on all my computers as many of my programmes are not suitable for Windows 10. A clean install would make them unusable. How can I protect things so this does not happen.

I will do another computer this weekend (if I can get away with it) Happy Christmas to you all.

9. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

Cortana should support UK English. You may need to download the speech download for UK it is separate from the basic language pack.
    • WinKey + i
    • Time and Language
    • Region & language
    • Click on the installed language you want the speech pack for
    • Select Options
    • Download the language pack and the speech pack
    • Go under speech tab and see if you can set speech to UK then

10. silverman

Thanks Neemobeer, that for that I will give it a try tomorrow and report back