Windows 8 Clean Installation of Win8 on Pre-Installed Win8 Laptop

Zamir Halutz

Honorable Member
I have a new Lenovo G710 Laptop with UEFI bios and Win8 Pre-Installed. I want to make a clean installation of Win8 so I can change patition C & D sizes and get ride of all un-wanted pre-programs.
My Qs are:
1) where I can find Win8 ISO file to download? (Microsoft and Lenovo) didn't wand to give me one
2) Assume I have ISO File and create Bootable USB Drive, Does my pre-installed key work?
I cannot download Win8 using Microsoft procedure to download win8 with Key (I discovered my key using key finder program). I don't want to make recovery media from current state of laptop.

I am fairly sure you cannot download an .iso from Microsoft with an OEM key, so you would have to get it somewhere else.

But lets say a friend had the retail version, but you could not use that key. This is mostly speculation since I do not have an OEM machine to run tests on, but when you install, the process will check for a key in the UEFI firmware. That OEM key will not allow the install and/or activation of a retail version of the software.

There is a way to get around the retail key problem, if you were able to use the retail key to install, but it doesn't sound like you are in that position.

Maybe someone else will have more definitive information about the OEM key situation. But whatever you do, if you have a large recovery partition with the factory image, protect it or you may be paying Lenovo for some type of recovery/install media.

The key is no problem. That is stored in your BIOS and will automatically activate any new installation of the same type (e.g. Pro). But finding an iso will be more difficult. You can try the 2 links below. I myself have never tried those so I don't know how well they work.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/29322-The-Official-Windows-8-Repository

[URL='http://www.howtogeek.com/178487/how-to-download-windows-8.x-and-create-a-bootable-dvd-usb-legally/[/QUOTE']http://www.howtogeek.com/178487/how-to-download-windows-8.x-and-create-a-bootable-dvd-usb-legally/[/URL]

Thank you for your answer. Both links do not have download option. Consider my situation: I have a new machine (750$) and if I want to make any changes, Lenovo/Microsoft force me to buy license second time. I don't like to be in catch 22 situation because Lenovo save 0.5$ on installation disk. I think that we, the users, should do something to stop it. After all we have the money.

Let's start from the beginning. If I understand you right you want to reinstall because you want to change the sizes of the partitions and get rid of some preinstalled programs. That could be accomplished in an easier way.

You could also refresh your system without an installation disk. Both solutions would be a lot less painful than a reinstall.

If you need help for either solution, let me know.

Btw: It is always a good idea to make an image of the system very early in the cycle - best after initial installation, all updates done and the major programs installed. Then you can always default to that image which can be restored in less than half an hour. But do not use the Windows imaging facility - use free Macrium. Macrium is much safer and easier to deal with.

Let's start from the beginning. If I understand you right you want to reinstall because you want to change the sizes of the partitions and get rid of some preinstalled programs. That could be accomplished in an easier way.

You could also refresh your system without an installation disk. Both solutions would be a lot less painful than a reinstall.

If you need help for either solution, let me know.

Btw: It is always a good idea to make an image of the system very early in the cycle - best after initial installation, all updates done and the major programs installed. Then you can always default to that image which can be restored in less than half an hour. But do not use the Windows imaging facility - use free Macrium. Macrium is much safer and easier to deal with.
Thank you for you advice. I have burn Macrium Recovery disk but it is not booting my Win8 laptop since my EFI Bios blocked it (It run well in Win7 machine with regular Bios).

I have pre-installed Windows 8.1 my laptop crashed, it's not starting, after dell logo screen going black, I tried to boot through USB, some error regarding partition, how to solve pls help?

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Docshri, you probably need to start your own thread since this one is not related to your situation. There are many threads about booting to black screens, but I have not seen a definite solution.

So if you could gather all the information you can and include that in the new thread. You computer model and configuration along with specifics about what type of black screen and if you can see anything on it, might be of some use. When you say crashed you mean an actual BSOD, you might want to go to that forum.

Docshri, you probably need to start your own thread since this one is not related to your situation. There are many threads about booting to black screens, but I have not seen a definite solution.

So if you could gather all the information you can and include that in the new thread. You computer model and configuration along with specifics about what type of black screen and if you can see anything on it, might be of some use. When you say crashed you mean an actual BSOD, you might want to go to that forum.
Thank you I have created new thread and attached image of error message I Need urgent help

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom