Windows 7 Clone entire hard drive

TGMcCallie

Windows 8. I would like to clone my present 500 GB hard drive onto my new 1 TB drive.
My HP has a C: and D: partition. The recovery files are on D: I would like to completely
clone the old internal HD onto my new External HD which has the partitions set up at C: and D:.

What software do you suggest for me to do this or is there a means of doing it within Windows 8?

Thanks
Tom

I have Acronis true image 10 but have never used it. Will it do what I want to do which is completely clone my present drive?
Also is it compatable with Win 8

Pat, I have attempted to clone my HD with Acronis 2010 and it appears to work OK. It ran all night but I could not find any rsults that it was doing anything. The hard drive was showing action all the time. How does it work? Does it go directly to the target disc or does it store it in a temp file and then later go to the target disc. This morning it was still running and I clicked on G: (target disc) and it showed still empty.

I did not get the guide when I installed the program so I don't know what to expect.

I did do a backup of my documents file and it backed it up to G: without a problem so I am sure it is installed correctly.

When I clicked to clone my C: disc originally, I set C: as source and G: as target. It asked me if I wanted to delete any partitions on the G: drive because it might interfere and I said yes. It then rebooted and that is as far as I can see any action other than the action that is going on with my HD light which shows something is happening.

How can I tell what is being done on my computer and what program?

Tom

I've not used ATI for such a huge task so cannot advise you on how long it might take but can imagine it taking all of this time to deal with such a task. The good thing is that you are only creating an image and the waort that should happen is that the time has been wasted. If you run out of patience it may be worth aborting and looking at first removing any files which are not required or are already secured slsewhere then breaking the task down into a number of parts and executing them separately.

Back
Top Bottom