Windows 7 CODE 80072EE2-WIN7 will not update-"windows cannot search for new updates"

joeshmoe

"windows cannot search for new updates" win7 ultimate/activated, this is what i get? what is going on and i figure i cannot be the only one having this problem. [CODE 80072EE2] ERROR
win7 ULTIMATE will not update no matter what i do. i have built desktops in the past, delt with more issues thru the years with windows/MS, more then one can count. i know a bit but this is another new one to me.
I tried shutting off FW completely....etc. didnt work! what now??
:cool: :confused: :(

joe
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Could you provide some more information about your environment. Are you having any other internet connection related issues with this machine? This particular issue is usually related to third party software, specifically third party firewalls like Comodo or ZoneAlarm, etc. and or Third Party AntiVirus / Internet Security suites that have a firewall like applet as part of the install. What are you using as a DNS resolver?

Could you provide some more information about your environment. Are you having any other internet connection related issues with this machine? This particular issue is usually related to third party software, specifically third party firewalls like Comodo or ZoneAlarm, etc. and or Third Party AntiVirus / Internet Security suites that have a firewall like applet as part of the install. What are you using as a DNS resolver?

There are no other SW issues, there is none other then quicken 2010, and picasa. no is other FW's,etc. other then what is on WIN7/ultimate, and as far as the DNS being an issue, i am about 99.999% sure there is also nothing there. for one, i even tried shutting down the WIN7 FW, didnt work. its back on now. the error also seemed to indicate that there was no response from MS about the updates, what this means, would take a person like yourself to even think of what it could be. is it your believe that it may be a wireless router or adapter problem? with no other prolems is surfing what so ever, this doesn seem to be the answer.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Nope, it is not my belief that it may be a wireless router or adapter problem. If you say that you have no other browsing issues then I would suspect that you're good in that department. The reason I asked about DNS was I recently had an issue with a client running Windows 2008r2 server in their environment and they were using it as their primary DNS resolver and it uses a feature called "eDNS" and guess which web site doesn't support eDNS. Try opening a elevated command prompt and running system file checker. The command is sfc /scannow

Nope, it is not my belief that it may be a wireless router or adapter problem. If you say that you have no other browsing issues then I would suspect that you're good in that department. The reason I asked about DNS was I recently had an issue with a client running Windows 2008r2 server in their environment and they were using it as their primary DNS resolver and it uses a feature called "eDNS" and guess which web site doesn't support eDNS. Try opening a elevated command prompt and running system file checker. The command is sfc /scannow

Well even though i am the only one that has done anything to this desktop, this is what i get when I did what ya said to do at the command! its making out like i am not even the admin, or i did it at the wrong place, the wrong command prompt...etc. elevated command prompt come on MS how many can there be in one OS install.....:( :frown:
As far as the DNS, i kinda figured you were reffering to sservers, and the answer as you now know, i am not running anytype of server. so where do we go now?
big part of why i am here asking this, this is strange to say the least, I should not be having this problem getting the updates, and none of what comes back as to why doesnt make any sense!! :(

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
You must be an administrator running a console session in order to
use the sfc utility.
sorry about that, i almost forgot to post to ya what it come back when i typed in what ya said to. ooppssss. well i did just get up and the ole MEM i have aint what it usta be, i am not, as you may not know a spring chicken..... oh well ya know now the rest of the story. what do i do now?
also, now thinking about it, this couldnt be MS problem, I did something wrong, now i just need to know what it was and how to correct it.

joe

Last edited:
Click start (New Windows Orb), click all programs to expand, find and click accessories to expand, usually the second one down will say "Command Prompt" right click and choose "Run As Administrator....then type sfc /scannow

I have the same issue for a while now

I have exactly the same issue for several months now. I tried all the official ways that are reported on different sites but none works. It just gives the error code 80072ee2. The weird thing is that originally windows update worked and then one day it stopped and never came back again. I am not using any firewall outside the official windows firewall. Is ot possible that this related to the fact that i use a router and then a modem to connect to the internet, do i need to do portforwarding somewhere? I have no idea at what port windows update works so cant try that. However it is getting quite annoying so i will take any tip people can give...

tnx,
MJN

I have exactly the same issue for several months now. I tried all the official ways that are reported on different sites but none works. It just gives the error code 80072ee2. The weird thing is that originally windows update worked and then one day it stopped and never came back again. I am not using any firewall outside the official windows firewall. Is ot possible that this related to the fact that i use a router and then a modem to connect to the internet, do i need to do portforwarding somewhere? I have no idea at what port windows update works so cant try that. However it is getting quite annoying so i will take any tip people can give...

tnx,
MJN
mjn:
Hello and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums. Try this
right click on your command prompt shortcut and choose run as administrator
type this netsh winhttp reset proxy
then type sfc /scannow let it complete and let us know
I also have a batch file that simply parses a list of .dlls and re-registers them, I have run it myself on my computers and on others with good results, if you like I can zip it up and email it to you.

Still persists..Help pls..

@ Trouble:

Hi..i tried what you said.. but no change..after the sfc/sannow command..the result said..
"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violation"..

the error problem still persists..any other advice..

my sys config is:
DellXPS M1330
intel core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83GHz 1.83GHz
4Gb RAM
Win 7 ultimate 32bit
i have Nortan 360 installed..but it was installed after the problem started.. when it happened i was using the free version of latest AVG..

Re: I have the same issue for a while now

I read on another blog and believe I have the answer. During an update several weeks ago, microsoft updated the driver to my USB Wireless adapter a Compact Wireless G USB Adapter. In the blog the person said their problem was with their eathernet adapter. I am sure microsoft updated the driver of those devices as well. I rolled back the driver update to the previous one and my update windows started working. There were 13 important updates waiting. So It seems Microsoft's update of network adapters, wireless or otherwise is causing the problem. Good Luck. RT.

PS, I use IE9 beta and it has been having issues with being slow to load and appears to lock up now and then. Since I rolled back the driver for the wireless adapter IE is now acting like it should and is faster. RT.

Last edited:
I have windows 7 home premium and it was working well... I updated almost every thing that was able to be updated. I did at some point uninstall windows IE 9 and go back to 8 but I thought every thing was fine when now for no apparent reason I get this same error... Ihve tried all the advice here including stopping the update service wiping out the directory thats involved and restarting it... still when I try to update I get this error...:mad:

I have windows 7 home premium and it was working well... I updated almost every thing that was able to be updated. I did at some point uninstall windows IE 9 and go back to 8 but I thought every thing was fine when now for no apparent reason I get this same error... Ihve tried all the advice here including stopping the update service wiping out the directory thats involved and restarting it... still when I try to update I get this error...:mad:

Do you have any wireless adaptors? If so I would look in the update history and see of there were any updates to it. If so roll them back though the device manager. I would also look at any network adaptor, such as an internal net card and see if it go an update. Roll it back as well and see if it starts working.

I am not sure these updates are the problem but when I rolled back the update for my USB wirelss device the updates started working again. IE9 is now out of beta and I would recommend it instead of ie8. It runs a little faster and is supposedly more sucure.

Robert

Back