Windows 8 COM Server application with CLSID on Windows 8.1

sjahanmi

Hi, I keep getting this error in the Event Viewer on my Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 14 everytime I start....anyone know how to fix it? I found them both in the regedit but when I right click on properties to grant the permissions to Full or All i get another windows error msg saying the permissions cannot be changed. So Im stuck with keep getting the error. Anyone have an idea how to resolve this? Thanks!

Here is the msg from Event Viewer:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The error appears to be happening for many folks. Check and see if you can tie the occurrence with some other action, such as a system reboot or waking from sleep. If you can, I would suggest you ignore it.

If it is happening all the time, I will assume you are referring to an Event 10016 DistributedCom error. The AppID refers to the Immersive Shell, and appears it needs local Launch permissions for the Local Service.

You can try this link which describes what they suggest you do in the error message. It might not be enough, but you could try adding the Local Service user to the Security settings in the Component Services (comexp.msc).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771689.aspx

I am not currently getting the error consistently on either of my systems, but once before I was getting an error and needed to edit the Security Settings for the specified Application in the DCOM configuration. In order to do that, I had to alter the permissions in the registry to allow access to those settings....

Let us know how it goes. Since I am not having the problem, I will have no way to see if some solution might work.

Back