Windows 10 Command line apps disappearing

SPIRALSTAIRCASE

Hi all

I am running windows 10 Pro on two HP workstations and on both I am having a problem:

two command line apps that I need to use will not load.
I click on the exe file and momentarily the command line screen appears and then disappears. I have tried running as administrator and it makes no difference.

The specific apps are vray.exe and nvidia-smi.exe

both of these are genuine applications licenced to the computer. In the case of Vray, chaos group have said it is a windows problem and not something they can support.

Any help would be very useful.

Thanks

you run them from a command prompt or powershell window not directly as they're not gui apps

Thanks @nmsuk I don't quite follow. Yes I normally run them from the command line - but currently they are closing as soon as I open.

I have tried to launch from start/run>
but same thing happens.

I have checked the registry specifically "prevent access to the command prompt"
but this doesn't change anything

You need to launch cmd.exe then run the command from the command prompt. The reason they exit is because they are not interactive or there is an error.

I have tried the following
  1. Go to the destination folder and click on the path (highlights in blue).
  2. type cmd.
  3. Command prompt opens with the path set to your current folder.
I tried from here to open the .exe file - it does partially display but mainly says insufficient permissions. Is there a way to open as admin using this method?

Yes, click the start button, type cmd, right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'

@Neemobeer or anyone ... even with admin permissions the .exe file is not loading in it's full format. Ordinarily it would run as a command line application allowing me to change values (on/off etc) and set tasks running but when I load the .exe from within cmd.exe it doesn't give access to these commands.

When you mention there is an error, could you elaborate on things that I could check to troubleshoot the error?

1.I have tried to create a new windows user
2. I have checked the registry specifically "prevent access to the command prompt"

these applications when working normally should just open up - so there must be a problem in windows somewhere.

Also - this machine is online - but only when I need to register software. Mainly it is run offline for workstation tasks. No games, no torrents none of that stuff. Just 3 main applications which make simulations with 2 Xeon processors and a Titan V

Back