Windows 7 computer doesn't work with new laptop ram

phantom16

So my Acer aspire 5750g-9463 is having an issue with new RAM

it currently has 2 x 2GB sticks, and i wanted to upgrade, so I used CPU-ID to discover max frequency, which was 1333.
memory.png

spd.png

So i bought 2 x 4GB for my acer aspire 5750g-9463
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's in German because I am currently living in Germany, but I am sure the stats should be easy enough to understand

So it came in and i installed it and it doesn't work, it either just power cycles or sometime will stay on but nothing goes on screen, can't even see post or anything.

bad ram? some other compatability issue?

using only 1 stick in either slot doesn't work

i know you're not supposed to mix ram, but i tried 1 old working, and 1 new ram to see what would happen, and it's the same as with new ram, either cycles or it stays on, but you can't see anything, which is the same thing it does without any RAM.

I read online that resetting the CMOS battery might help, so i did that, but it still just power cycled. The weird thing was that I put in the old ram afterwards and then it power cycled again. after a brief moment of extreme hysteria, i reseated the old ram and now it seems to be working....

I wanted to try it in another laptop just to be sure, but no one immediately around me has a notebook with a compatible motherboard, so i am left not knowing if there is some other compatibility issue I haven't noticed, or if they just sent me 2 dead sticks? So any other ideas? should i send back the RAM and try to get a replacement? send back the ram and get my money back and by a different brand?

what do you guys think?

I am confused as to why you say it is incorrect. The ram on amazon "Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Laptop". It says 1333, and it is CL 9, as it states in CPU ID. I will look into the crucial system matcher, but I am baffled as to why the one i did buy isn't correct...

The crucial things says to buy http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=887475A7A5CA7304 but as far as i can tell, the one i bought, and the one stated here are the exact same, except that the amazon one is PC3 10666 and the crucial one is PC3-10600 but my max is 10700, so either should theoretically work, right?

Last edited:
This is the RAM speed you need....right from your 2nd screen shot.....

ram.PNG

Do you see the PC3 - 10700 (667 mhz).....the RAM you need to buy is the 667 not the 1333. This is why your computer is not recognizing it, it's the wrong speed (mhz).

When i was searching online people stated that i should double what i see there. you even said that in your first post as well
http://www.overclock.net/t/1346124/cpu-z-shows-ram-at-half-speed
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/299734-30-check-speed

so that means my max bus speed is 1334. and looking briefly online, I don't see any ddr 3 ram that has 667 Mhz on amazon.de, the lowest seems to be 1333, which is what i bought, which is what the crucial website says will work with my laptop.

I am getting ever more confused haha

any ideas or input? i am just going to return the ram assuming it was defective, and buy the almost exact same (and slightly more expensive) RAM from crucial, that says it is compatible, and hope that it works out as it should

If a PC comes with 400, 667 or 800 mhz RAM...that's what you have to buy. Then the multiplier ( x 2) wiil give you it's actual speed of the RAM....so your RAM is 400 x 2 = actually 800 mhz; 667 x 2 = actually 1333 mhz; 800 x 2 = actually 1600 mhz.

So in your case you need to look for RAM that is 667 mhz also named/know as PC3-10700.

As desktops go; mobo's can use higher rated RAM frequencies, most of the time but laptops and especially low end laptops don't/wont let you use the higher RAM frequencies, just the maximum GB value. I've looked for your laptops memory supported list and I can't find one. That would tell you what you can upgrade to.....with out that I would do exactly what you are doing. Buy the same value but go to the maximum GB allowed....example from 4 GB to 8 GB but keeping the frequency at 667mhz.

Laptops in general are not designed for hardware upgrades....really the only hardware upgrade you can do is the RAM. Although, you can upgrade the CPU, but is very labor intensive and expensive.

I bit of a delay in touching this topic up, but I bought pretty much the same RAM
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0057K0DVE/ref=pe_386171_37038021_TE_M3T1_dp_1 and now it is working. I needed the 1333, and now my computer is working great with 8GB of RAM. The other RAM must have just been defective or something.

Just in case anyone Googles this and stumbles across this, I thought i would help. Just showing that the 1333 Mhz was indeed ok for my system, just defective or otherwise arbitrarily incompatible RAM.

If a PC comes with 400, 667 or 800 mhz RAM...that's what you have to buy. Then the multiplier ( x 2) wiil give you it's actual speed of the RAM....so your RAM is 400 x 2 = actually 800 mhz; 667 x 2 = actually 1333 mhz; 800 x 2 = actually 1600 mhz.

So in your case you need to look for RAM that is 667 mhz also named/know as PC3-10700.

As desktops go; mobo's can use higher rated RAM frequencies, most of the time but laptops and especially low end laptops don't/wont let you use the higher RAM frequencies, just the maximum GB value. I've looked for your laptops memory supported list and I can't find one. That would tell you what you can upgrade to.....with out that I would do exactly what you are doing. Buy the same value but go to the maximum GB allowed....example from 4 GB to 8 GB but keeping the frequency at 667mhz.

Laptops in general are not designed for hardware upgrades....really the only hardware upgrade you can do is the RAM. Although, you can upgrade the CPU, but is very labor intensive and expensive.
Bassfisher, are you sure about the need to match the frequency? It's my understanding that the RAM modules need to match each other and be rated at at least the computer's frequency but that the spec represents the maximum frequency at which the modules will reliably work; that modules rated at a higher frequency can always be used. Faster modules tend to be more expensive, but I've always kept the option open if there was an availability problem. If you have experienced problems using higher-rated modules, that is good to know.

I bit of a delay in touching this topic up, but I bought pretty much the same RAM
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0057K0DVE/ref=pe_386171_37038021_TE_M3T1_dp_1 and now it is working. I needed the 1333, and now my computer is working great with 8GB of RAM. The other RAM must have just been defective or something.

Just in case anyone Googles this and stumbles across this, I thought i would help. Just showing that the 1333 Mhz was indeed ok for my system, just defective or otherwise arbitrarily incompatible RAM.

Well that completely slipped my mind....being defective...old age. Glad to here you're up and running now.

Bassfisher, are you sure about the need to match the frequency? It's my understanding that the RAM modules need to match each other and be rated at at least the computer's frequency but that the spec represents the maximum frequency at which the modules will reliably work; that modules rated at a higher frequency can always be used. Faster modules tend to be more expensive, but I've always kept the option open if there was an availability problem. If you have experienced problems using higher-rated modules, that is good to know.

As a general rule you can use higher frequencies sticks of RAM with lower frequency sticks and it should default to the lowest frequency. Although this practice isn't recommended it does work. For optimal system performance, matching frequencies, timings and voltages is best when adding extra RAM...whether that be using the existing RAM settings or upgrading to the higher RAM settings.

This is all I was trying to get across.

Back
Top Bottom