Windows 7 Computer flashes blue screen then reboots on laptop

Jack Gilmore

Hello,

My computer has been acting up recently and I managed to fix my MBR. It now flashes a blue screen when I boot and then restarts. I have attached my boot log from when I enabled boot logging. Can anyone make sense of this?

My boot log

Hi Jack,
if you have a windows 7 disk you could try booting from that and running the repair function. Or check in your minidumps folder and post the contents. (zipped). If you don't have a minidumps folder then your probably not configured to produce them.. See the screenshot showing you how.

There is nothing in the Minidumps folder when I did this. Should I maybe disable automatic restart on system failure to see what the blue screen message is?

Hi Jack,
has the machine actually blue screened since you changed the settings? If not then an actual dump file won't be generated until it does..

Tried the recovery disk. I used startup repair but it says it couldn't fix the problem. There is only one system restore and there is only one point and it won't let me restore to it.

Press F8 whilst booting and then choose the option 'Last good known config'.

If that doesn't work then right click on cmd prompt and run as admin. Type:

sfc /scannow

Then press enter. Hopefully the file checker will find the corruption and repair it otherwise you might be as well to re-install using the clean install method.

It comes up saying "There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again". Shall I do as it says?

Last edited:
according to the bootlog theres a whole heap of drivers not loading which is a definite problem and the failure to store a .dmp file is annoying as this could possibly point to a cure ?

assuming you can still boot into windows to setup minidumps and stop the auto restart ...............
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be found later
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

I am curious as to what the issue was with the MBR, how it happened and how you cured it ?

At this point you can keep digging around trying to solve a system problem that now has something fundamentally wrong, or it might be a better idea to try a repair install by running your windows 7 disk then going to upgrade from within windows and then retrieve anything you need from the windows.old folder ?

Update: I did as it said but it came up with the same thing

Hmm.. what about trying it in safe mode?

To be honest though Jack, personally I would have reformatted long before now.. Is this not an option for you?

The problem with the MBR is was that winload.exe was corrupt. Safe Mode doesn't work. Still no Minidump. I think I might just clean install my computer. I was gonna get a new hard drive for it anyway. Thanks for all your help

I really do think that is your best option and please do come back when your up and running.. :)

Hey guys,

I have reinstalled my computer with Windows 7 Ultimate N after buying a new 320GB HDD (I wanted more space) and the old hard drive is being used in my desktop pc to hold backups. I hope that backing up regularly will prevent this problem from happening in the future :D

Back
Top Bottom