Windows 7 Computer freezes during Boot, and during Windows 7 Install.

Warin

Hi I when I went over to my desktop after getting up this morning I found that it didn't react to me moving the mouse, and the screen stayed black even when I turned it on. I turned it off, then back on. It froze during the windows boot screen (black screen + logo ) It kept doing that. Tried System Restore, it froze during that too.

On Windows 7 install it freezes during the Expanding phase at random points.

What I've tried:
Installing on another harddrive. (same result)
Windows Restore Memory Diagnostic (no Errors)
Chkdsk (not /r the short version, will have to make a boot cd to do that)

I'm also running Memtest86 as I'm posting this.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter, and hope with you're help I'll be able to fix this.

Computer Specs:
GPU: XFX GeForce GTX 260 576M 896MB GDDR3,
PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI/HDCP, 448bit
CPU: Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, Socket
LGA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz BOXED w/fan
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5,
Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's (2kits so 8gb now)
Motherboard: MSI P43 NEO-F, P43, Socket-775, DDR2,
1600FSB, ATX, ICH10, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16
HDs: 1 GB SATA Samsung Barracuda +1 250gb IDE.

Memtest86 and prime95 are a good start, when done let us know the results. Chkdsk would be good too.

Removing most of the memory sticks (all but one) worked to get the install working, but the problem arose again a few days later. This time with the repeated short beeps after post.

Ended up buying a new motherboard (since the chips passed Memtest, and worked fine in another computer). That was yesterday, PCs working fine so far.

The drivers are a major cause of Windows 7 freezing. Even though the devices would be compatible there may be some driver conflicts which lead to screen freezing in a Windows7 PC. Moreover, the drivers may not be updated. To check on the right drivers and updates manufacturer’s website can be referred. Screen freezing can also occur if the Windows registry files are not organized and have flaws. To resolve it perform a cleaning on the system. Even applications like ncleaner can be used to clean the registry.
Re: Boot screen freeze p3280a - Windows 7 - HP Support Forum

Back