Windows 10 Computer is so slow... Help!

StarRaidz

Hello, wOrLD oF WINDOWS 10

Okay as you know cause you clicked the title my computer is running EXTREMELY slow all of a sudden. This is not cause its old or needs updated drivers. This computer is BRAND NEW! I bought it only a week ago. I installed CurseVoice (Talking program for games and stuff) and I use it all the time and it suddenly froze my computer during installation. I left it for 2 mins and then my computer said
"ERROR CurseVoice failed to install! Would you like to try again?"
I'm so stupid I selected yes... Then instantly it froze and became VERY laggy. So laggy that most of the time the actual desktop was unresponsive.I could not even click the windows button to shut it down or restart. I have looked up if anyone else had this problem and have not found a proper answer. I have tried to delete Curse but it keeps saying its missing a file and other times it says its network not available for this file or something like that. This is a pretty serious problem to me cause its a brand new computer and it was VERY expensive. Also I don't know much about the computer but its a gaming computer and every time I start it (This was even when i first started it) it starts saying a bunch of stuff like in a command line about divers and windows 10 and stuff. I am only mentioning that cause idk if that means I could do more stuff with it or not. Well that's kind of it. I can't even use the computer at this point. Its so laggy I can't even open my Folders on the computer. I have tried restarting it but same problem. Its starts up fine but the second I get to the desktop and try to do something instant lag.

-StarRaidz

P.S this is my first time using a forums for anything so if I put it in the wrong place or something please tell me.

Try this for starers.

Right click the task bar - Task manager.
Open the "Start.up" tab.

If you see "cursor voice" there, disable it. Log out and restart.

Try this for starers.

Right click the task bar - Task manager.
Open the "Start.up" tab.

If you see "cursor voice" there, disable it. Log out and restart.

Most of the time I can't get to the Task manager due to the computer being so slow its unresponsive for a couple mins. Also I do not think Curse is starting cause when I look at Task manager its not there. I know Curse caused the problem cause the problem started when I tried to install it and it failed.

Hi

You could also check and see if there is a restore point from before the problems started and see if you can go back to it.

System Restore Point in Windows 10

Mike

I am trying this now and I hope this works. Crossing my fingers! I looked at the affected programs and the "Curse" app is in there so that will be enjoyed seeing it disappear into the black pit of nothing. Do you have any other ideas in case this does not work? If so please tell me.

-StarRaidz

Hi

You could install a program called Revo Un-installer, and try using it to un-install the Curse app.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

It runs the unistaller software and then searches for and removes parts of the program that get left behind, i.e. registry entries etc.

Once you have everything up and running correctly you should create a System Image file so that you computer can be restored in case of anything that messes with Windows.

I use EaseUS Todo backup but there are a lot of options.
I find Todo to be the easiest to use of any I've tried, and it's Free.

Best free backup software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Once you have Curse completely removed, and everything is working you can try and reinstall it (after making sure you have a new Restore Point to go back to) I always suggest that when you reinstall software that you've had problems with that you install to a different location, so that Windows sees it as a completely different software installation and doesn't pick up stuff from the previous install.

Mike

Hi StarRaidz,

Some good suggestions here, especially from Mike. If the Revo uninstaller doesn't do the trick, you may have corrupted your windows or even have a virus/malware in there. I've never heard of this app; but sometimes if it's free, the software maker will sneak spyware into your computer without your knowledge or approval. I would scan with whatever antivirus program came on your computer. If you have no antivirus, you can enable Windows defender the built-in antivirus from Microsoft and scan with that. Remove any/all viruses detected. Reboot and rested your computer for normal performance.

If that doesn't work, I urge you to do a 2nd level scan for spyware viruses specifically using the free MALWAREBYTES from Malwarebytes.org. Remove any and all spyware viruses found. Reboot and retest again for normal performance.

If none of these restore your computer (by the way, what is the MAKE/MODEL of this computer please?); you should immediately backup all of your personal data on that computer to external media prior to conducting any more software troubleshooting. In order you should try: (1.) System Restore; (2.) Windows in-place upgrade repair; (3.) Windows reset or reinstallation from factory Recovery Discs or built-in Recovery partition. A 90% chance that trying all of the above in the order I suggested it will fix the problem.:fdance: Once you get the computer working normally again, you should make an Image backup as Mike suggested to external media, and then reinstall your "Curse" program again and test. If it shoots the computer performance to hell, that app is probably not compatible with Win10, and you'll never be able to use it. :headache: Chances are you'll need to run it on a different computer on an earlier version of windows.

Should the app be found to be at fault, I would suggest you return the computer to your place of purchase and get a full refund and buy a different model, if not a different brand entirely. You can also ask the store (if a brick-and-mortar store) to let you download your app on a floor demo Win10 computer and see if it works on that computer in their store, prior to purchasing it and bringing it home. You might have to repeat this on several computers in their store to find one that works. If none of them work with your app, it's pretty much a bad app as far as Win10 goes, and you might have to contact the manufacturer to see if they have an update, or scrap the app and find one from a different company that is proven to work with Win10.:waah:

Looking forward to your reply back with your specs.

Best of luck, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi StarRaidz,

Some good suggestions here, especially from Mike. If the Revo uninstaller doesn't do the trick, you may have corrupted your windows or even have a virus/malware in there. I've never heard of this app; but sometimes if it's free, the software maker will sneak spyware into your computer without your knowledge or approval. I would scan with whatever antivirus program came on your computer. If you have no antivirus, you can enable Windows defender the built-in antivirus from Microsoft and scan with that. Remove any/all viruses detected. Reboot and rested your computer for normal performance.

If that doesn't work, I urge you to do a 2nd level scan for spyware viruses specifically using the free MALWAREBYTES from Malwarebytes.org. Remove any and all spyware viruses found. Reboot and retest again for normal performance.

If none of these restore your computer (by the way, what is the MAKE/MODEL of this computer please?); you should immediately backup all of your personal data on that computer to external media prior to conducting any more software troubleshooting. In order you should try: (1.) System Restore; (2.) Windows in-place upgrade repair; (3.) Windows reset or reinstallation from factory Recovery Discs or built-in Recovery partition. A 90% chance that trying all of the above in the order I suggested it will fix the problem.:fdance: Once you get the computer working normally again, you should make an Image backup as Mike suggested to external media, and then reinstall your "Curse" program again and test. If it shoots the computer performance to hell, that app is probably not compatible with Win10, and you'll never be able to use it. :headache: Chances are you'll need to run it on a different computer on an earlier version of windows.

Should the app be found to be at fault, I would suggest you return the computer to your place of purchase and get a full refund and buy a different model, if not a different brand entirely. You can also ask the store (if a brick-and-mortar store) to let you download your app on a floor demo Win10 computer and see if it works on that computer in their store, prior to purchasing it and bringing it home. You might have to repeat this on several computers in their store to find one that works. If none of them work with your app, it's pretty much a bad app as far as Win10 goes, and you might have to contact the manufacturer to see if they have an update, or scrap the app and find one from a different company that is proven to work with Win10.:waah:

Looking forward to your reply back with your specs.

Best of luck, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for such a GREAT and VERY HELPFUL response! It seems the problem is fixed. I backed up my computer to a different point like Mike suggested and it works again! :D No more problems! If it the problem comes back (I don't think it will i'm done with CurseVoice) I will take your advice and steps given to fix it. Thanks so much!

-StarRaidz

Hi

You could install a program called Revo Un-installer, and try using it to un-install the Curse app.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

It runs the unistaller software and then searches for and removes parts of the program that get left behind, i.e. registry entries etc.

Once you have everything up and running correctly you should create a System Image file so that you computer can be restored in case of anything that messes with Windows.

I use EaseUS Todo backup but there are a lot of options.
I find Todo to be the easiest to use of any I've tried, and it's Free.

Best free backup software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Once you have Curse completely removed, and everything is working you can try and reinstall it (after making sure you have a new Restore Point to go back to) I always suggest that when you reinstall software that you've had problems with that you install to a different location, so that Windows sees it as a completely different software installation and doesn't pick up stuff from the previous install.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Problem seems to be fixed. I backed up to a point from before I installed it like you said and it works again! I have never had a problem with CurseVoice before it failed to install and started crashing and lagging my computer. Thanks for your responses and on how fast your you responded.

-StarRaidz

Glad to here you have it fixed.

Make sure you take the time to create a System Image of you C:\ drive so you will have an easy way to recover from problems in the future.

A half hour restoring your computer beats days of trying to track some corrupt files or malware that pops up any day.

Mike

Back