Windows 7 Computer when put into sleep, ends up shutting off instead

dyldonic

Windows 7 professional 64 bit , i put my computer to sleep and it take about 1-2 min then my computer shuts off completely and i have to turn it on by pressing the power button, and windows starts and says windows did not shut down properly, restart normally or safe mode , command prompt, why doesnt my comp goto sleep?
My computer always went to sleep before just started with this problem today!
Ive restarted it multiple times
Checked power option settings
Sfc /scannow
Scanned my hard drives
Reinstalled video drivers
Anyone please help, i hate shutting it down every time
Computer when put into sleep, ends up shutting off instead

Solution
It seems like your Windows 7 computer is experiencing issues where the system shuts down completely instead of going to sleep mode when you try to put it to sleep. Here are some steps and troubleshooting tips you can follow to address this sleep mode problem:

Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 Sleep Mode Issue:​

1. Power Plan Settings:
    • Check Power Plan Settings: Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do. Ensure that the settings for Sleep are configured correctly.
    []BIOS Settings:
    • Update BIOS: Check if there is an updated BIOS version available for your motherboard. Updating the BIOS can sometimes resolve issues related to power management.
It seems like your Windows 7 computer is experiencing issues where the system shuts down completely instead of going to sleep mode when you try to put it to sleep. Here are some steps and troubleshooting tips you can follow to address this sleep mode problem:

Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 Sleep Mode Issue:​

1. Power Plan Settings:
    • Check Power Plan Settings: Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do. Ensure that the settings for Sleep are configured correctly.
    []BIOS Settings:
    • Update BIOS: Check if there is an updated BIOS version available for your motherboard. Updating the BIOS can sometimes resolve issues related to power management.
    [
    ]Device Drivers:
    • Update Drivers: Ensure that all device drivers, especially those related to power management like chipset and graphics drivers, are up to date.
    []Power Management Settings:
    • USB Power Management: In Device Manager, under USB Root Hub properties, make sure the option to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power is unchecked.
    [
    ]Troubleshooting Tools:
    • PowerCfg Tool: Use the Power Configuration (PowerCfg) tool to diagnose power settings and generate a report on power usage. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run: powercfg -energy.
    []Windows Updates:
    • Install Updates: Make sure your system has the latest Windows updates installed. Some updates can address power management issues.
    [
    ]Sleep Study Tool:
    • Analyzing Sleep States: Use the Sleep Study tool to analyze the sleep states and identify any issues that prevent the system from entering the desired sleep mode.
    []System File Check:
    • Run SFC Scan: Perform a System File Check (SFC) scan to check for corrupted system files that may be causing the sleep mode problem. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run: sfc /scannow.
    [
    ]Hardware Checks:
    • Hardware Verification: Ensure that there are no hardware issues causing the sleep mode problem. Check for any overheating or malfunctioning components.
  2. Reset Power Settings:
    • Reset Power Scheme: Try resetting the power settings to their default values to see if it resolves the issue. You can restore the default power plan settings by clicking on "Restore plan defaults."

Further Actions:​

• If the issue persists after trying these troubleshooting steps, you can also consider performing a System Restore to revert the system to a point where the sleep mode was working correctly.
      • Contacting your computer manufacturer's support or a professional technician may also be beneficial if the issue remains unresolved.
      By following these steps and recommendations, you can diagnose and address the sleep mode issue on your Windows 7 computer. If you need further assistance or encounter any challenges during the troubleshooting process, feel free to ask for more detailed guidance.

Solution
Back