Windows 7 Computer won't boot, not even in safe mode

gagirl

After a shut down my computer won't start. I've tried using a windows 7 repair disk with no luck. Says it was unable to fix. It shows no restore points for a system repair. Here are some of the errors I have recieved.

Boot Manager generic failure 0xc000000e
OS Loaded generic failure 0xc0000001
Boot critical file d:\mcupdate.dll is corrupt
Error code 0x4005

Any help is greatly appreciated

read this: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

From the recovery DVD go to command promt:

bootrec /FixMBR
bootrec /FixBoot

then

c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old (rename current BCD)
bootrec /RebuildBcd (let Windows create a new BCD)

reboot, you should be able to boot to safe mode

in safe mode open command prompt:
sfc /scannow

the file system check should repair corrupt system files.

Try a normal boot.

I tried that and it didn't work either.
When i entered the command I got these messages
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old - A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found.
bootrec /RebuildBcd -The system cannot find the path specified.

If you have another Windows 7 machine that is also 32 bit (if this problem machine is 32 bit) or 64 bit (if this problem machine is 64 bit)....

meaning if you have another machine with same version of Windows 7....

burn that same file to disc or put it on USB stick from the good similar machine.

Then boot to Knoppix disc on bad machine and copy/paste the file to the location it belongs, over the corrupt one. Reboot to Windows drive and enjoy.

----------

If you don't have another Windows machine, I can upload the 32 bit file for you if your problem machine is 32 bit.

Last edited:
recovery DVD, command prompt:

c: - this is the drive where your system is located ( could be d:, e:,....check with 'dir' to see if you have a \windows folder/directory)

cd \windows\system32
bcdboot c:\windows /s c: (again here c: could be d: or e: ... depending on where your system is located!)

reboot to safe

sfc /scannow

Have you tried the actual Startup Repair from the Windows 7 DVD? Up to 3 times consecutive runs may be necessary to fix it:

I have tried it several times with no luck, just says it's unable to fix automatically.

recovery DVD, command prompt:

c: - this is the drive where your system is located ( could be d:, e:,....check with 'dir' to see if you have a \windows folder/directory)

cd \windows\system32
bcdboot c:\windows /s c: (again here c: could be d: or e: ... depending on where your system is located!)

reboot to safe

sfc /scannow

Didn't work :( Says Failure when attempting to copy boot files. Now instead of automatically going straight to a black screen with errors, it says starting windows and shows logo before going to the black screen. I have tried everything I can think of. I'm about ready to scream! I've never had this kind of trouble before, always been able to fix my others (Vista). I was able to find a Windows 7 Install disk. I really don't want to loose any of my files.

I have the same problem, but my drives are configured as RAID 1. I can't afford to lose my data.Errors
are 0xc000000e and0xc0000001 as tthe gentleman above. I can't refresh and my restore points
disappeared after running chkdsk. I ran the series of bootrec commands (/fixmbr. /fixboot, /scanos
and /rebuildbcd) without success. Diskpart.exe does not show either drive of the raid pair as
bootable, but that may be because they are RAID drives. I have not been able to run
sfc /scannow because it tells me there is a repair operation pending and needs a restart (ends up
in a vicious circle. The srttrail.txt file shows only one error in the system boot log [generic boot
manager failure 0xc0000001] , this after running the auto repair program.
There has to be a way to troubleshoot this besides losing all my data. HELP!

read this: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

From the recovery DVD go to command promt:

bootrec /FixMBR
bootrec /FixBoot

then

c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old (rename current BCD)
bootrec /RebuildBcd (let Windows create a new BCD)

reboot, you should be able to boot to safe mode

in safe mode open command prompt:
sfc /scannow

the file system check should repair corrupt system files.

Try a normal boot.
Thank you so much for this.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom