Windows 7 Connecting to a WIRED network

Usjes

Hi,

My mother is abroad travelling with Win7 on her netbook, in the rented appartment she is in in India she gets the standard 'Server not found' message from Firefox after plugging in the Rj45 from the broadband modem. She says she encountered the same problem in a hotel in London and that the front desk was able to sort it out and said that the problem was that her 'security settings' were too high. I am a very experienced user of win XP and previous versions but have never used Win7 so I have no idea where all the usual icons (control panel, wired network etc) are so debugging remotely is a challenge. Are there some specific new network security features in Win7 that might need to be relaxed to connect to a random WIRED network ? What's the best way to try to debug this ?

Incidentally, does anyone know if there is something like a Win7 emulator or remote desktop anywhere on the web for people to 'try out' before buying a copy. This would allow me to familiarize myself where all the standard icons are on Win7 and might enable me to come up with some simple steps she could follow to debug this.

Thanks,

Usjes.

Online win7 emulaltor

Hi,

I am trying to remotely debug problems connecting to the internet for a friend. The problem however his that here netbook has win7 on it which I have never used. So I dont know where all the usual icons and apps are (control panel, dos box, network connection tray icon etc) so it is very difficult to give instructions over the phone. So I'm wondering:
Does anyone know if there is something like a Win7 emulator or remote desktop anywhere on the web for people to 'try out' before buying a copy. This would allow me to familiarize myself where all the standard icons are on Win7 and might enable me to come up with some simple steps she could follow to debug the problem.

Thanks,

Usjes.

Back