Windows 10 Connecting to homegroup PC's when starting up with revovery disc

Think the other way around: you can easily put your all your documents, pictures on a NAS and just mount that network share or use cloud features of some types of NAS's and backup the NAS!
Besides, cannot W10 use a network location for its imagebackup or am I wrong?

But who cares for this moment your problem is solved.
Yes, Windows 10 can use a network location for its backup. I make my backups to a network location, i.e. a PC in my homegroup. It's reaching that location when booting a PC in that network from a recovery medium that's the problem.

Dag Jaap,

I just booted a W7 Repair disk, one of the options is "Een systeemkopie zoeken in het netwerk" (Find an imagebackup in the network)

Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk

Dag Jaap,

I just booted a W7 Repair disk, one of the options is "Een systeemkopie zoeken in het netwerk" (Find an imagebackup in the network)

Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk
Hi Henk,

thanks for persisting (in reacting to my posts)! I did so too, numerous times; but then, when you try to use this generous invitation, you cannot log on to the share containing the backup. So the option gives you hope, then dashes that hope again. :rolleyes: It's quite possible that it works with a real network managed by Windows Server, but I only have a humble peer-to-peer homegroup. In that case, it doesn't seem to work.

Regards, Jaap.

you are not wrong bochane a nas is the normal backup option for recovery images (what I use at home and work) and for 90% of people the best way to go.

a homegroup is an extra layer of security over what a nornal nas is and the fact you can't see inside the homegroup at boot time does not necessary make the nas unreachable... this is all pointless because the guy has his problem sorted
No, I don't think it's pointless. I would like to know whether a NAS in a homegroup would be visible to a PC booted up by a Windows recovery medium.

....but then, when you try to use this generous invitation, you cannot log on to the share containing the backup. So the option gives you hope, then dashes that hope again. :rolleyes: It's quite possible that it works with a real network managed by Windows Server, but I only have a humble peer-to-peer homegroup...
Dag Jaap,

To be honest, I never went further then that question, with the idea that I always can copy the imagebackup to something the computer that needs it can access.
Besides, I use neither a homegroup nor a Windows server just a NAS.

But I just tried, I could open from the repairdisk something like \\server\share on my NAS.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk

Dag Jaap,

To be honest, I never went further then that question, with the idea that I always can copy the imagebackup to something the computer that needs it can access.
Besides, I use neither a homegroup nor a Windows server just a NAS.

But I just tried, I could open from the repairdisk something like \\server\share on my NAS.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk
NOW you've got me interested... if you have neither a homegroup nor a Windows network, then what are we talking about, if I may ask? A single computer and a NAS, both connected to a modem/router? Or something else?

the nas is not IN the homegroup but attached to the router (whatever has the dhcp normally) and as long as thats the case a basic window address i.e, \\server\file or folder should work.
your average nas has both public (any one on the inside of the network) and account id folders (username and password needed)... you always put backup images on the public side unless you have muppets for staff.

p.s, even a basic windows machine with only one user and a nas is tech a server... thats why the localhost (127.0.0.1) file works

??
Don't understand your question.
I wondered about your setup. I have three PCs (in a Windows homegroup) and a modem/router ro connect the PCs to the Internet. You wrote that you use "neither a homegroup nor a Windows server just a NAS". That made me curious about your setup.

the nas is not IN the homegroup but attached to the router (whatever has the dhcp normally) and as long as thats the case a basic window address i.e, \\server\file or folder should work.
your average nas has both public (any one on the inside of the network) and account id folders (username and password needed)... you always put backup images on the public side unless you have muppets for staff.

p.s, even a basic windows machine with only one user and a nas is tech a server... thats why the localhost (127.0.0.1) file works
I see. I thought, although the NAS isn't in the homegroup, that it would behave like a computer that was, and that the network capabilities of the Windows recovery medium would be too limited to "see" the NAS. Now I understand from your post and from bochane's earlier post that that's not so. Thanks for enlightening me!

Back