Windows 7 Connecting to Wireless

Par

Hello

I just bought windows 7 today, i was prevouisl using windows xp and I could connect to my wireless internet just fine. Then after I installed windows 7 I am unable to connet to the wireless, it picks up my network but says no network access/limited access. I've tryd turning my router on and off that doesn't help at all, it does say in my wirelss connection statues IPv4 connectivity no network access IPv6 connectivity access.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Open Network and Sharing Center and make sure that your wireless connection is being identified properly, it should say home or work, if it says public then attempt to change that by clicking on the word public and selecting home from the resultant window. If this is not successful, please, from a command prompt type ipconfig /all and post the results back here using the windows snipping tools under accessories.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix - :
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Addres.- : 169.254.252.83
Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected
Connection specific DNS suffix . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{D0964FAA-7778-44A1-B46D-43367C2876C9}:
Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{31D5C497-C0AE-46A0-BDF4-F3392A20D4F9}:

Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected

Sorry to sound really dumb here but I was unable to switch my network to home, it is set on public

Thanks

Not at all, I didn't actually suspect that it would be that easy. The problems seems to be that your IP address is being resolved by APIPA, that's an automatic Microsoft feature, that I often wish they would do away with, since it confuses more people then it actually helps. In short you are not getting DHCP information, from whatever should be providing it on your network (probably in this case your wireless router). Take a look in device manager and see if your wireless adapter is listed and then right click and check the properties and see if there was an issue with the driver. See attachment. Also if you have the option, have you tried a wired connection, if so try that and run windows update.

Yes the device is working properly and unfortunately I don't have the option of a wired connection, any suggestions on what to now?

thanks

First off, if you could, fill out your system specs it would help some. If you go to the top of this page and click settings and then on the left side of the resultant window choose edit profile, scroll down and start filling out the information on your system, starting with the version of Win7 you're running including if it's 32 or 64 bit. You can try a simple full reboot of your network, by turning off your machine, then your router, then your ISP provided device, leave them off for a minute or two. Then reapply the power to your ISP's device, wait till it's steady green and locked, then your router again wait breifly and then your machine. You can also try a simple ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew from a command prompt and see if that helps.

Thank you. I see that D-link doesn't show any actual Win7 64 bit drivers or for that matter any Win7 drivers for that card, the latest I could find were Vista drivers. Also here on Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility Website, you can see that the 64 bit information says "Coming Soon" http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=D-Link%20DWA-556%20Xtreme%20N%20PCI%20Express%20Desktop%20Wireless%20Network%20Adapter&v=D-Link&uid=DWA-556&pf=3&pi=9&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Network%20Cards&os=32-bit so you may infact have some driver compatibility issues with that device. You can also try unchecking IPv6 in the properties of that adapter and see if that helps at all as well as attempting to force feed it the correct static IP information that will work on your network, if you need some help with that, I'll be happy to try it with you.
Finally, we should probably get some information on your router as well, manufacturer, model number, version information, etc

I'll assume that "Tried all of that" means the network reboot. Did you also try uncheck IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter? Try rebooting into safemode with networking by tapping the F8 key as the computer reboots and see if the problem persists. Sometimes in cases such as yours this won't prove helpful, since the drivers for your add on card might not load, however I would like to try it just to see what happens.

No I haven't tried force feeding the ip and unchecking IPv6 didnt see that post ill try that stuff now might need some help with force feeding the ip and ill get my router information

thanks for help by the way greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Again, as i pointed out earlier with you network card, according to this site http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Linksys%20BroadBand%2054Mbps%20802.11g%204Port%20Wireless%20Router&v=Linksys&uid=WRT54G&pf=1&pi=26&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Routers&os=32-bit your router is also 32bit compatible, but no information is available on the compatibility with 64bit version of Windows 7 so potentially, with you version of Windows 7, we might not have an avenue available for a successful resolution. I'll check linksys and see if they have a firmware update, but I'm sure I'll need the version information, should be on a tag on the bottom of the router should say something like WRT54G v3 the v# is what I'm interested in. Also I have some experience with this exact model and while I got it to work successfully, I did have to do a firmware update and as I recall, because I don't use it anymore, both proximity to the device and the version of encryption I was using had some impact. So how close are you to it and try running it open without encryption for testing purpose and then experiment with WPA and WPA2

First off...
Did you disable the encryption on your router, and if so did it make any difference
According to this Linksys by Cisco - WRT54G Support there is a firmware update for your router dated July 2009 but let's hold off on that for a while, since some firmware updates if done imporperly can result in catastrophic results. This page also includes a user manual for your router, so if you don't have one handy, click the link and download a copy to familiarize yourself with the interface. Then go into it and check and make sure the the UPnP feature is turned on. Page 22 of the user guide, says default is on make sure that is correct. Then if you decide to do a firmware update, make sure you read carefully page 23 of the same users guide and do not attempt the upgrade using a wireless connection only a wired connection, assuming of course you have that option. I'm guessing that you have another computer on the same network that is working fine and that's how we're communicating now. If that's the case and it's a wired connection you can use that computer for the firmware upgrade. But first let's try setting the IP configuration manually, so post an ipconfig /all from the other computer and let's try a manual setting of the Win 7 computer see attachment

Tried disabling encryption didn't do much guess ill have to try firmware updateLink Removed due to 404 Error

Wow, site was unavailable for a while. I'll try to catch back up with this thread. Clicked on "Attachment 4602" it says invalid attachment. What ever it was, use the built in Snipping tool under Accessories, choose new and then what you want, probably window snip, snip it, save it to your desktop as a filename.png and then attach it to your next post, by choosing "Go Adavanced" in the reply area and choosing the paper clip attachment feature and upload the file. Hope this helps. Also you never said, exactly how far is your adapter/computer from the router physically?

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : optusnet.com.au
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR928x Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-43-7A-F4-7A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9da:470b:7dd1:c257%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 5 January 2010 2:46:37 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 6 January 2010 10:18:29 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.31.138.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Thats all my attachment was, my router is upstairs and my computer is downstairs there not to far away from each other.

Back