Windows 7 Connection on Windows 7 and Linksys

UbyTuesday

I've tried looking everywhere for a solution to this but have found almost nobody with the same exact problem.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card WMP54G Network adapter that Windows 7 7000 will not detect. When I look in the Device Manager, it does not show up under Network Adapters. Just FYI, I have XP installed on another drive and when I boot up with XP I can see it there perfectly. But when I look for it in Windows 7, it just shows Nvidia nForce Networking Controller under Network Adapters, which I assume came as a system file with Windows 7 considering I have a 3870.

So far, I've tried the following to no avail:

Disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter.
Installing the Linksys drivers I have for it
Disabling Nvidia nForce Networking Controller
Uninstalling ' '
Windows 7 troubleshooting, which told me that drivers were installed but that an adapter was not detected.

Am willing to do a lot of tweaking to get this working. I'm trying to install 7 on a new 1 TB hard drive and I'm kind of stuck at this point.

don't do anything with the controller. that's fine, it's the driver for your adaptor that's the problem.

Go to Linksys support and look for your device (they have an awesome picture-based browse now! :D ). Look for vista drivers and get those, and install it under win 7.

remember, Win 7 was meant to work with vista drivers, so vista drivers should work with Win 7.

Hey, I have the exact same problem.. I've been trying to get linksys set up, but nothing seems to be working. Now when I try to install the files I get the initial screen, but as soon as I click "install" it just exits out of it... It's quite strange. I'm really hoping for an answer, as I don't want to have to go buy some other sort of receiver..

well, i'm not the geekiest and most knowledgable when it comes to the more hardward technical stuff to computers...

but, at least to OP (@ soccer, people overuse "exact problem"; do you really have same adapter? and thats only one question...), you're using old hardware, on an old system if you're using XP, unless you downgraded. Vista replaced XP some years ago. :p Your hardware was built for XP. Unless you can test on another computer and see if it'll work in Vista, you can't expect it to work under Win 7. When it comes to drivers, Win 7 = Vista.

Your last option besides buying a new adaptor would be trying a wired connection...and even that may not work since your computer is probably old if you're using XP, unless you downgraded from Vista.

if you haven't yet, spend some more time googling, seeing what you find. Some people do get their old adapters working.... but only few. Sometimes they get a driver for a later hardware version than the one they really have (even it's still meant for XP), some actually ran the driver installer with compatibilty mode and that worked. So there are possible work arounds. If your Win 7 is x64 though, you're out of luck since you need x64 drivers.

when I had some issues with my on board wireless (what made me register here), I also tried my linksys adapter (a usb wireless), but it just coudln't work. Too old, it's meant for XP, and on this new computer, I needed x64 drivers anyway. Luckily HP live chat support helped me out and got me a working driver. :cool:

I discovered the solution!! Ive got internet working like a charm.(i'm typing off windows 7 atm)
Heres the easy solution:
(taken from another forum post)
"

So followed the instructions here more or less and it worked like a charm!! A couple things have changed though. Ralink Support site for windows is now at:
Ralink Technology: Windows

And the download you want is the second from the bottom in the Windows section. Title of it is: PCI/mPCI/CB(RT256x/RT266x) from 10/26/07. In the version column it lists support for Vista: RT61:2.1.0.0 and RT2500: 3.2.0.0 which jives with the "RT61+RT2500" listed above, it just took me a bit to figure out it was really the same driver set. (I fully admit that could be a chair/keyboard interface issue!)

Anyway, installed the RALink software, but didn't get a prompt for drivers, so went through reboot/restart process to bring up new hardware found messages, pointed to the linksys drivers folder I had already unzipped into a Linksys folder on the hard drive, and was connecting to my wireless router without a hitch!!

So my order of operations were as follows:

1. Unzip linksys driver .exe into the C:\linksys folders (default location)
2. Run the RALink install executable
3. Restart the computer
4. When prompted for drivers for new hardware found, choose the "other options" selection and browse to the Linksys folder and make sure the "Include subfolders" option is checked and let it install the drivers.
5. Select my network from the list of available wireless networks, enter my encryption code and voila, internet access up and running!

http://tredosoft.com/node/26"

Pretty much, just go to the link, download second to bottom for windows, run it on windows 7, reboot the system, then go to your section where you select drivers, for wireless internet go to find driver, browse, select lynksis files, and it works. :D

I replied yesterday, but I don't know what happened to my post. Here is your solution:

I searched some time for an answer, eventually stumbling upon this post. It works great! I'm typing off 7 atm. :D

" So followed the instructions here more or less and it worked like a charm!! A couple things have changed though. Ralink Support site for windows is now at:
Ralink Technology: Windows

And the download you want is the second from the bottom in the Windows section. Title of it is: PCI/mPCI/CB(RT256x/RT266x) from 10/26/07. In the version column it lists support for Vista: RT61:2.1.0.0 and RT2500: 3.2.0.0 which jives with the "RT61+RT2500" listed above, it just took me a bit to figure out it was really the same driver set. (I fully admit that could be a chair/keyboard interface issue!)

Anyway, installed the RALink software, but didn't get a prompt for drivers, so went through reboot/restart process to bring up new hardware found messages, pointed to the linksys drivers folder I had already unzipped into a Linksys folder on the hard drive, and was connecting to my wireless router without a hitch!!

So my order of operations were as follows:

1. Unzip linksys driver .exe into the C:\linksys folders (default location)
2. Run the RALink install executable
3. Restart the computer
4. When prompted for drivers for new hardware found, choose the "other options" selection and browse to the Linksys folder and make sure the "Include subfolders" option is checked and let it install the drivers.
5. Select my network from the list of available wireless networks, enter my encryption code and voila, internet access up and running!

"

Thanks for your help. I got impatient and got a new network adapter. Unfortunately, trying to install some realtek drivers before i thought of that caused some serious problems to the point where my old hard drive with xp on it wouldn't boot up (hal.dll error). so i had to install xp pro new over my hard drive that had windows 7 on it, which would no longer boot up either.

so soccerfreak....thats what you done?
& you got your linksys up & running?

I have the USB adapter & I'm having the same issues...
no driver installed & its not working...
but for some reason it does work...
but it labels me...that its not working ,,including all other programs that I try to use for the usb adapter...
anyways,

I'm gonna do it...right now.
except I was told/..or searched to install the latest ralink driver...(which is located at the top)
-for the usb adapter

thanks for the link!

Yea, I followed those steps pretty closesly. I simply went to the link, downloaded the second to bottom for windows, ran it, rebooted, then ran linksys files, and it found my linksys network reciever and connected it.. I had internet working shortly after. It was very nice. :razz:

Ok I have dialoging with someone else about this but also trying these steps and nothing is working. Did you have 32-bit or 64-bit cause that is the only thing I can think is the problem?

Back