Windows 10 Consecutive BSOD code 124 on windows 10.

Akeen

I just installed Windows 10 yesterday on a new SSD drive. I did all updates Windows Update asked for and the only drivers I installed manually were the LAN driver for ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO motherboard and the graphics card driver for AMD R9 290, both from their manufacters website. Also, some utility software for the Crucial BX500 ssd but I'm not sure that's even relevant.

After installing Windows, the drivers, and some other common software like browser, spotify, steam and a few games I started getting BSOD errors with the code 124. To be precise, 4 in one day. What all the BSOD errors had in common was that they all happened when I was playing a fullscreen game.

If you need any more information or files just guide me through the steps to send them.

Attachments

• W7F_15-03-2020.zip
    749.7 KB · Views: 236
Hi,
just seen your post.

Bugcheck 124 can often be associated with overheating.

Test your system isn't getting too hot by monitoring level using something like HWiNFO64

Hi,
thanks for your answer.

I've been trying to solve this problem for a week now, and everyone's been saying to check the heating, clean the desktop, etc... I've done that all and ran multiple tests with OCCT and to be honest it does heat a bit but I don't think that's the problem.

I actually think I've proved, at least to myself, that it isn't an hardware problem. This because, as I said, I clean installed windows on a new SSD I got. While trying to solve this problem for a week I just forgot my old HDD here on the side and I haven't had time to format it yet. So, I remembered to take the SSD out again and inserted the HDD back in... used the computer for several hours without a single BSOD... as soon as I booted back with the SSD, BSOD in 30 minutes.

I used "dxdiag" to check what AMD driver I had installed on my HDD, it was the 19.9.2. So I installed that one on the SSD, and still got the BSOD after a couple minutes... I even checked every driver I had on the HDD for the motherboard, processor, etc... every piece of hardware and installed the same drivers on the SSD, and it didn't solve the problem either.

I've searched for possible software that was causing the conflict and found reports of Afterburner, ASUS AI Suite etc... but I have none of that installed on the SSD, in fact I only got basic crucial software there, like browser, etc...

I've reached a point were both my SSD and my HDD have the same exact drivers on the same exact hardware and in one I get BSOD every 20 minutes while in the other I get none. The only thing I noticed isn't the same is the Windows Version, on the HDD it is the 1803 while on the SSD it is the 1909.

as soon as I booted back with the SSD, BSOD in 30 minutes.
Thanks for the info.

Overheating is simply the go to answer for Bugcheck 124 although it can be caused by numerous reasons.

Can you post the make and model of your SSD?

Have you checked it's fully updated firmware wise?

It's a Crucial BX500 and yes it's fully updated, I even downloaded the utility software for it.

Have you tried using a different cable and if possible a different port?

If you have and you still get the bsod then you may have to consider that the SSD itself is faulty.

Do you have another SSD in which you could run in the system?

I'd also contact the retailer and see if you can get the SSD exchanged.

I just installed Windows 10 yesterday on a new SSD drive. I did all updates Windows Update asked for and the only drivers I installed manually were the LAN driver for ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO motherboard and the graphics card driver for AMD R9 290, both from their manufacters website. Also, some utility software for the Crucial BX500 ssd but I'm not sure that's even relevant.

After installing Windows, the drivers, and some other common software like browser, spotify, steam and a few games I started getting BSOD errors with the code 124. To be precise, 4 in one day. What all the BSOD errors had in common was that they all happened when I was playing a fullscreen game.

If you need any more information or files just guide me through the steps to send them.

This is usually heat related, defective hardware, memory or even processor though
it is "possible" that it is driver related (rare). Remove ALL power and re-seat all
cards, memory and cables (on both ends) - actually remove and replace - do not
just snug. Make sure the system has adequate ventilation - add a small fan
blowing into intakes. Carefully inspect the motherboard and other cards for
damage. Pay attention to the fatal hardware error implication. You may need
a real computer shop or the System maker's Support.

Check the processor seating, heat sink, and the compound between the processor
and the heat sink which are common causes.

Update:

I secure erased the SSD and clean installed Windows again, changed graphics card from AMD to an NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super.
The BSOD's stopped for about 3 days and then returned consistently.

I've been told that the RAM may not be working properly with the Virtual Memory allocated on the SSD.
The HDD with the same hardware works properly so how could that be heat related? Only if the SSD caused more heat than the HDD.

so how could that be heat related?
I think the user posted that because of the bugcheck number.

Ok so if I read your posts correctly, this bsod is only occuring when your SSD is installed?

Running virtual memory on a SSD is absolutely fine and in fact needed if you want to see a dmp file. Pagefiles can become corrupted tho so it might be worth recreating yours...

If you have any dmp files from the SSD was or is installed can you please post them.

Isn't what I attached on the first post the dmp files ?

Can the SSD produce more heat than the HDD ?

Bugcheck 124 can also mean a hardware error occurred.

As I mentioned if the machine only blue screens when the SSD is installed then it could be the something associated with the SSD or even the SSD itself may be faulty..

yes i am also facing some problems in my windows bcz i have so many viruses added in my device i dont kow how they came and effected my device i needhelp from you guys if someone knows about the answer then guide me.

Hi,
thanks for your answer.

I've been trying to solve this problem for a week now, and everyone's been saying to check the heating, clean the desktop, etc... I've done that all and ran multiple tests with OCCT and to be honest it does heat a bit but I don't think that's the problem.

I actually think I've proved, at least to myself, that it isn't an hardware problem. This because, as I said, I clean installed windows on a new SSD I got. While trying to solve this problem for a week I just forgot my old HDD here on the side and I haven't had time to format it yet. So, I remembered to take the SSD out again and inserted the HDD back in... used the computer for several hours without a single BSOD... as soon as I booted back with the SSD, BSOD in 30 minutes.

I used "dxdiag" to check what AMD driver I had installed on my HDD, it was the 19.9.2. So I installed that one on the SSD, and still got the BSOD after a couple minutes... I even checked every driver I had on the HDD for the motherboard, processor, etc... every piece of hardware and installed the same drivers on the SSD, and it didn't solve the problem either.

I've searched for possible software that was causing the conflict and found reports of Afterburner, ASUS AI Suite etc... but I have none of that installed on the SSD, in fact I only got basic crucial software there, like browser, etc...

I've reached a point were both my SSD and my HDD have the same exact drivers on the same exact hardware and in one I get BSOD every 20 minutes while in the other I get none. The only thing I noticed isn't the same is the Windows Version, on the HDD it is the 1803 while on the SSD it is the 1909.
Have you run tests on the SSD? I bought one recently to install in my older HP machine and it has been solid!

Back