Windows 10 Constant BSOD/Black screen Windows 10 New System

singular9

So back in december I built my customer a new PC. Specs:

Ryzen 3700x, 32GB of RAM, Gigabyte B550 Gaming X, ADATA 2tb SSD, 700w powersupply, 8tb ironwolf pro hard drive and a 2tb seagate baracuda hard drive, GTX 1660 super.

The issue has been the same and I have changed out under warranty everything except the CPU and the 2 hard drives. We have tried new RAM, new SSD, new Powersupply, new motherboard. Have reinstalled and repaired windows several times.

Issue happens like this. At a random point in time (can be an hour, can be 4-5 days) the PC will just BSOD to UNEXPECTED STORE_EXCEPTION. It hangs at 0 for hours. After a reboot, it goes to a black screen and asks to insert boot drive.

The only way to actually get it to boot to windows (on the m.2 PCIE ssd) is to power off the PSU and power it back on again. When trying to get into bios post a BSOD, it will not see the SSD, only the two sata hard drives.

At this point I really think its a bad hard drive as this is the only parts I have not changed out. I also do not know if this is caused by windows 10 (maybe the built in back up feature?) or hardware (like I said I changed out everything under warranty except the 2 hard drives).

I just wanted to see if anyone else seems to have any ideas of what this could be. I have never seen this kind of issue, I have had plenty of BSOD's due to bad memory or powersupplies etc, but considering I thought it was a failed SSD at first and had that replaced with a new one, I don't think it is.

Yes, I am running ryzen power plan, yes I have fastboot off. Yes I have ran chk disk and sfc scan, both return no problems. Yes I have reinstalled windows. Yes I have set the pagefile to be on the SSD.

At this point I really think its a bad hard drive as this is the only parts I have not changed out. I also do not know if this is caused by windows 10 (maybe the built in back up feature?) or hardware (like I said I changed out everything under warranty except the 2 hard drives).
Hmm... You could removing all the drives except your Windows install. See if the bsod stops, if it does add a drive back and check for crashes again. Keep doing this until you've tried them all.

Did the system bsod as soon as you built it?

Hmm... You could removing all the drives except your Windows install. See if the bsod stops, if it does add a drive back and check for crashes again.

Did the system bsod as soon as you built it?
(This isn't a PC for me, its for a customer)
I told him to remove the Hard Drives (or just unplug them).

I think the first BSOD happened about a month in, so no, not as soon as it was built. It was built for photoshop and some Topaz AI denoise/sharpening software + basic office tasks. After the first one, it could be anywhere between an hour to a day till the next one. I think it even broke the SSD to the point that event viewer was giving bad block errors repeatedly and the SSD did not pass neither SFC nor check disk (it did pass adata's own stress test though). At this point is when I figured it was a bad SSD, so ADATA happily sent me a new one and after a clean windows install, it lasted about 5-6 hours on the new SSD. This is when I immediately got a new motherboard as I would rather just take a loss on it but get it running. I got an identical motherboard to make sure I didn't need to reinstall windows, this time the PC lasted about 4 days before a BSOD. (again, after every bsod the SSD would disappear from bios and would need a hard off and on w/ the psu to appear).

I really doubt its windows, since it has been reinstalled TWICE (once on the old ssd, once on the new) from scratch, totally clean installs.

Drivers I do have (if it is a driver issue) - stable creator edition GTX drivers, AMD adrenaline chipset drivers (I used AMD's software suite to update them), drivers for his usb printer.

He is on a 200mbps fiber symmetrical connection (I have read this issue could be due to windows trying to connect for a solution and not being able to do so).

The memory he is using is on the compatibility list for his motherboard, the SSD isn't but the ADATA swordfish is listed on asus, msi, and asrocks compatibility list for B550.

What I am going to do today:
1. Set DRAM voltage to 1.35 from 1.3
2. Set the SOC voltage a bit higher
3. run a mem test with mdsched although this system has passed furmark, cinebench loops, prime95 and aida64 with no issues.
4. Remove the pagefile
5. keep the hard drives unplugged, disable the windows 10 backup feature
6. update the gpu drivers to game ready instead of creator edition
7. see if there are any error dumps from last night when it happened last
8. probably see if there is a bios update and do that, as well as update any other drivers.
9. unplug all unnecessary USB devices

Otherwise I am out of ideas. I have tried just about everything at this point. Might just buy back the system take the loss and build a new one. I sent the old motherboard back to Gigabyte and they said they couldn't replicate the issue so the motherboard wasn't it.

I told him to remove the Hard Drives (or just unplug them).
Do you know if he tried this?

The memory he is using is on the compatibility list for his motherboard, the SSD isn't but the ADATA swordfish is listed on asus, msi, and asrocks compatibility list for B550.
Have you tried googling this drive for bsod errors? I did and found a few related posts. If possible I'd try placing Windows onto a different drive (simply as a test and even if it's a HDD) see if taking the SSD out of the system helps?

Or, you could try running Seatools for windows on the drive, this may determine whether it's buggered or not. Did you check the smart data on the drive too?

Lastly, the only thing about removing the pagefile is that you won't get a dump file on bsod. Sometimes pagefiles can get corrupted but simply recreating the pagefile will remedy this.

Do you know if he tried this?

Have you tried googling this drive for bsod errors? I did and found a few related posts. If possible I'd try placing Windows onto a different drive (simply as a test and even if it's a HDD) see if taking the SSD out of the system helps?

Or, you could try running Seatools for windows on the drive, this may determine whether it's buggered or not. Did you check the smart data on the drive too?

Lastly, the only thing about removing the pagefile is that you won't get a dump file on bsod. Sometimes pagefiles can get corrupted but simply recreating the pagefile will remedy this.
After trying everything I managed to replicate the issue but trying to update windows. 20h2 was failing repeatedly until I manually did it using a USB drive. Then after that microsoft office click to run broke and office became the culprit. Got rid of it and got 365 instead, so far so good.

Turns out none of it was hardware related.

After trying everything I managed to replicate the issue but trying to update windows. 20h2 was failing repeatedly until I manually did it using a USB drive. Then after that microsoft office click to run broke and office became the culprit. Got rid of it and got 365 instead, so far so good.

Turns out none of it was hardware related.
Did it resolve your issue??
I have exactly same issue and nearly same build.
ryzen 3600, Gigabyte B550M DS3h board. Corsair XPR 16 GB ram @3200 MHz, Adata swordfish 240 Nvme and AMD R7 265 graphics card.
the system was running smooth until recently I started to received BSOD with error WHEA UNTRACEABLE error. As you stated, it would stay at 0% while collecting data and no progress and you have to reset the CPU and exactly same issue you mentioned, system can’t find bootable media. Have to turn system off for a while and restart and it would detect the drive and run windows.
first I thought the issue might be with graphics card drivers so I tried multiple. Didn’t help.
Changed graphics card. Same issue.
updated BIOS to latest and one lower version. No help.
reset windows. And while I was in initial setup, blue screen error still came.
then reinstall windows.( Same version as before. )
changed RAM slot.
Trying all this didn’t help at all. Blue screen kept coming but after but the error on blue screen changed. Symptoms remained same. Even severe that my bootable media was not detected even after multiple power offs.
I thought since I have changed everything except SSD so maybe it is the culprit but happened to see your post.
So did changing OS resolve the issue ?

Back