Windows 7 Constant full lockups windows 7 home premium asus m2n-mx se

nuttzo31

Hi i am wanting to purchase windows 7 64 bit and i am using a 30 day trial version to test out on my pc but i am having problems with constant full lockups.Ihave an asus m2n-mx se with an nvidia gt210 card and 2gb geil ram and amd athlon 5200 cpu.I have installed latest nvidia drivers from the site as well as all the updates but i can't figure out why it locks up all the time.I have changed bios settings back and forth slowing the timing on the ram etc as well as run test on ram and hdd and no problems there.I would like to purchase windows but i am unsure if i can get a refund if i can't get it working.Does anyone else have this model board or any diagnostic programs or ideas to help me.If i purchase windows will i be able to get phone support from microsoft or will i be stuck with a freezing computer.I would appreciate any help thankyou

what OS were your running before the upgrade? Was this and upgarde or clean install? Did you go Asus website and download all the drivers for the 64 bit upgrade....ie, chipset, audio, and so on. After looking on the Asus site, it seems that that mobo does not support windows 7 OS. Which would explain the no drivers and the crashing your experiencing.

After looking on the Asus website, it seems that your mobo does not support windows 7 OS. So there are no 7 64 bit drivers which would explain your constant lockups.

Not according to the Asus website.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M2N-MX SE

The only OS's listed are; DOS, Linux, WinMe, XP and Vista (both 32 and 64 bit).
I've found through trial and error, that just because MS says it compatible doesn't not necessarily make it so. I've had dongles and other hardware that where on the list and then go to the manufacturer's site to find out that there are no drivers for it in that version of windows. The driver you need is the chip-set driver, that's the main driver for your mobo.

To my knowledge, that MS compatibility list can be tweaked by individuals adding and taking away hardware compatibilities. It's not set in stone and there can be errors to the list.

Now there may be some people that have the same exact same mobo and upgraded to windows 7 and successfully did with out a hitch and have said "this will work with windows 7" and add it the compatibility list.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help bassfisher.I installed drivermax and it found a couple of updated drivers for my chipset nforce 430 and i have gone a couple of hours without a lockup.Im not giving up yet and if i can get through my 30 day trial period without anymore lockups i will probably purchase windows or else it's back to ubuntu 10.04lts.

Glad to here you getting it sorted. With the 64 bit OS you'll find that it has a bit more pep in it's step with 4 GB RAM with the option to max out your mobo RAM.

Im still getting lockups so its time to replace the ageing asus m2n-mx se with a brand new computer.These will be the parts im getting after careful consideration

ASUS P8P67 B3 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD
INTEL CORE i5 2500K 3.3GHz 6MB
WD CAVIAR BLACK 3.5" 1TB 7200/64MB/SATA3
ANTEC TRUEPOWER NEW 550W MODULAR PSU
KINGSTON 8GB KIT DDR3 C9 HYPERX 1600MHZ
NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 CPU COOLER
LIAN-LI LANCOOL PC-K58 CASE BLACK
MS WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM OEM/64BIT

I will be taking my evga gt210 card and asus dvd burner out of the old pc.This should fly with windows 7 thanks again for taking the time to help me bassfisher.

Back