Windows 7 Copying Files to USB Drive or CD/DVD

ajojoel

Whenever I attempt to copy a picture or music file to my USB drive or to a CD/DVD, I receive the following message for example: "the file IMG_1303 has properties that can't be copied to the new location. Do you wish to continue?"

How can I remedy this problem?

When you copy files from a NTFS file system to a FAT or other non-NTFS file system, there may be properties contained in the file stream that can not be
copied because the non-NTFS does not support these alternate streams (perhaps not an accurate description, but close enough).
If the device you are copying to was formatted as NTFS, then you would not see the message about properties not being able to be copied.
It should be okay to lose the extra properties and still have the files work just fine.

Saltgrass Said:

When you copy files from a NTFS file system to a FAT or other non-NTFS file system, there may be properties contained in the file stream that can not be copied because the non-NTFS does not support these alternate streams (perhaps not an accurate description, but close enough).
If the device you are copying to was formatted as NTFS, then you would not see the message about properties not being able to be copied.
It should be okay to lose the extra properties and still have the files work just fine.

QUESTION: How can I tell if the file I am copying is NTFS or FAT? And, how can I tell if the device I am copying to (generally a CD/DVD/USB) is using NTFS or FAT?

Appreciate your help - Joel

It's not the file that's NTFS or FAT, it's the way the drive was configured. FAT (File Allocation Table) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are file systems. A certain way that the drive reads the files. So all you have to know is what File System your source and destination drives are. If you go to "My Computer" and select a drive, on the bottom you will see "File System" and it will tell you what it is.

Like mentioned, it doesn't matter. You can copy files from one system to another - either way.

Back