Windows 7 Corrupted user profile, help needed!! Wont let me copy files

ygoody

UPDATE
Problem SOLVED.
..I dicovered that it was temporary internet files which were too long. Not that that fixed my problem, I was still unable to access my copied files in the new account I created, kept giving me an access denied message.

So I decided to just do a system restore instead. None of my important files were lost.

So I try logging onto my laptop today and instead of logging in the usual way a message that windows is creating new desktop settings appears. When it does finally log me on I get a speech bubble message saying I have been logged on to a temporary profile, I restart a few times and the problem persists. After a little google search I realise my old profile is probably corrupted...I have not downloaded any new software/hardware.

I have followed miscrosoft's steps to copy user files from my old profile to a new one, everything in the file transfer went fine until the last few files are to be copied. I then get this error message saying "The file names would be too long for the destination folder", only two options are available skip and cancel. Neither of which are helpful.

I don't recognise these folders which are too long (the names are random letters and numbers), I tried searching for them to no avail. And to be honest I really don't understand what this means.

What the heck do I do??

Last edited:
I show some long file names in my directory, but they are NTUSER.dat files...I don't think you are supposed to move those.

Back