Windows 7 CPU 'overheat' effing annoying me.

Jordan

Okay, so I have gathered a rough temperature and I have found that my PC's BIOS is kicking in and instantly shutting down the machine once it's temperature (the CPUS's) reaches in excess of 50 degrees celcuis. Now obviously this is nothing compared to what it should be set to, like... 70 degrees. This happens when I play MW2 on some maps (mainly the ones without A LOT of detail e.g. A foresty map that has a lot of trees and plants and grass etc...). I can clearly see that it reduces FPS on these maps because there is more to process and hence that would increase the CPUs workload and it's temperature. So that all makes sense and sounds fairly plausible.

What I need to know is how to change this option in the motherboards BIOS or where ever it would be.

Motherboard type: GA-MA790X-DS4 - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual - GA-MA790X-DS4 (rev. 1.x)

My motherboard may be a cheapo one to some of you but I am only using it for another month or two, it was a temp. So I really need this 'fixed' since I am not going to not-going-to-not-play-MW2 for a month

Please don't say.
"Go into the bios and into PC health and it will be there".
Because that is a load of BULLSHIT. All other forums have said this or some stupid variation of it and it's clear that those eff faces don't know crap on the matter. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS THAT YOU HAVE CONFIRMED OR KNOW DO WORK.

Hopefully you guys can help.

P.S. My BIOS version is F4.

Thanks,
Jordan.

I have the same mobo and I suggest you upgrade the bios to the latest version which is F9. You will then find in PC health (via the bios) the settings you need..

Ok.. I downloaded the file from the Europe link (see Screenshot). When you get the file, extract it and put the file arrowed on a clean floppy. You'll then need to reboot with the floppy in the drive and either boot into the bios or press 'end'. Once in the bios press F8 to get into the qflash utility. A little tip.. when it first looks for your new bios it might say not found..Try again and on the second go you'll see the file, just highlight it and off you go..

If you check page 66 of the motherboard manual you'll find instructions in there for Qflash...

Hopefully that will fix it.. but you may want to blow out the fins in your heat sink. They collect dust and then don't cool properly. Make SURE you fan is running. Sometimes a cpu will run with only a heatsink.. for a little while.

The side of my case is always open. I know the fans are all running 24/7 when that PC is on. Nothing gets hot at all. I have touched all the heat sinks right after it turns off (after de-static-ing myself) and its mildly warm. Oo

The air coming out of the case is cold, like air-con.

Just for the fun of it I might go into my bios and reset to factory defaults ... and make sure it's not overclocking... maybe just step down the clocking or voltage.

Memory and cpus are often built the same.. then tested and sold a the speed just below where they failed.

The side of my case is always open. I know the fans are all running 24/7 when that PC is on. Nothing gets hot at all. I have touched all the heat sinks right after it turns off (after de-static-ing myself) and its mildly warm. Oo

The air coming out of the case is cold, like air-con.

having the side of your case open is no guarantee it will keep it the coolest in fact it can mean the airflow is wrong and may be running warmer :frown:

If your CPU heatsink only feels warm then I would wonder if it is contacting the CPU properly ?

was this a home build ?

Guy's,
the op's original problem was getting his warning for CPU overheating configured correctly via his bios.. His CPU wasn't in fact overheating but he just wanted to have the warning in place in case it did. Through numerous pm's this has now been sorted... (I think, as he hasn't replied so it must be fixed?)

No worries... I was quite upset when he (the OP) said it was a 'cheapo motherboard'... :eek: Mine cost me over a 100 quid! Plus has been an excellent overclocker so for me it's been worth every penny...

I don't think it's cheapo. Just some poeple on forums before flamed and what not because of reaons they have. So I was just saying that incase anyone on this forum would do that.

The problem is still there, once it hits 50c it resarts. I am certain that is the problem.

Case: Antec 900
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 True Dual Core Processor 6400+ @ 3.21Ghz

I chose the parts, they are all 100% compatible and it was built in a store since at the time I didn't know much about installing a CPU so why pay one guy to put it in when you can pay the same price for everything. D=

Back