Windows 10 CPU upgrade without BSOD?

SizZLeR

Like the title says, will upgrading the CPU of a desktop computer cause Win10 to BSOD and call for a reinstallation?

Im considering upgrading from an AMD Phenom II x4 965 to an AMD FX-8370 X8 4.3GHz, but ever since XP, Ive had nothing but problems upgrading CPUs. It caused the computer to start up in to an infinite reboot loop, either by Windows crashing while loading or load in to a BSOD and restart.

Each and every time, the only solution that worked, was to format the harddrive and reinstall. :-(

So Im thinking that now its been 15 years since this "bug" was introduced, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft has finally fixed it?

Solution
Each and every time, the only solution that worked, was to format the harddrive and reinstall. :-(

Yes....this is correct. With any major hardware change...(mobo/CPU).....MS recommends a clean install of the OS. This is to sort out the BIOS/chipset driver/standard mobo drivers. Otherwise you're using the OS with the old CPU drivers and setup....which 99.9% of the time will cause a BSOD.
Im with you all the way Bigbearjedi, a good PSU is a major key when it comes to building good and stable computer systems. :)

The LC8700 Hyperion I have does have the power to pull the 8350 and GTX970, the problem turned out to be that the fan had failed due to dust building up inside it, but despite that, it did manage to run my X4 965 BE with the GTX970 w/o any problems at all despite the fan didnt work.

But none the less, I went and got myself a new 80+ Gold rated PSU: Link Removed

My computer has now been up and running for a few hrs with no issues at all, so it seems it was all down to that burned out PSU fan which caused the overheating problem.

Imma try and run GTA V and such to see if everything is as stable as it appears to be. :-D

Last edited:
Been running GTA V and some other games as well and the system is rock stable.

Thx for the feedback from all you guys. :-)

Back