Windows 7 CPU Usage High - Slow Laptop

Litha

System: Inspiron 1420 Windows 7

Issue: Suddenly slow system (CPU usage usually raises to 100% when opening any programs such as a web browser, then dips back down when everything is loaded enough)

Attempted Solutions: Anti-virus, malware, anti-spyware programs | chkdsk, sfc /scannow |Memory diagnostics | Adjusting Appearance | Using Task Manager to locate highest CPU usage program (None of these attempts have identified the problem.)

Hi, everyone. My system which is a Dell Inspiron 1420 Windows 7 was recently given a clean install to Windows 7 from Vista. Everything was going fine for about two weeks when suddenly everything started to become sluggish.

Now when I for instance open a video on Youtube, the video will buffer, and while that's happening the audio that plays sounds like a droning machine as if it was being disconnected from the Matrix, ha. After the video loads enough, the sounds remains normal. Not only that, but the mouse will stop, stutter, freeze, then continue after the video has loaded enough to where the mouse can move again. I'm also experiencing freezes on this machine, and usually when the computer does freeze the mouse pointer disappears.

I have already tried many things, such as running anti-virus, malware, and anti-spyware programs which had all come up with no threats. I've run chkdsk, sfc /scannow (which did in fact find corrupt files, but they were unable to be repaired. If anyone can tell me how to repair those files that cannot be repaired, I would appreciate it), and I've also done memory diagnostics, all of which are not identifying with the problem I'm having.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

Thank you.

Hi, sounds like your os files have become corrupted somehow. Did you do a hard shutdown or similar? One thing I see missing from your list is system restore? Perhaps you can revert to a time before the corruption? If that doesn't work try pressing F8 when booting and choosing 'last good known configuration'.

Have you checked in Task Manager, Ctrl+Alt+Del, what's eating the power? CPU100 is a common phenomenon with viruses etc. but since you seem to have tested that, it would be worth a while to check the consumption part. It may be one program you've installed.

System restore kemical mentions will take you back to a pre-date, solving the problem. Hope you get it running! :)

Yea, I forgot to mention I restored to an earlier date and the problem still exists. The restore point wasn't that early since a cleaning I did before had unfortunately removed the earlier restore points. The earliest restore point however I could and did revert back to has not worked. I also did in fact check the task manager for any process that was using up my CPU and there is simply no solution there.

I have in fact been doing hard shutdown recently only due to the freezes I've been experiencing. Before the slowness I don't recall shutting down like that. Is there a way to repair those files that /scannow couldn't fix?

If you perhaps knew which files were corrupted you might be able to re-install them off the net. Otherwise I'm afraid your looking at a re-install. You could try a upgrade type install which will in effect keep your files and folders but to be honest you'd be far better off wiping clean and starting again.

I agree with kemical. You could use a Repair Disc, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend a clean install WITH a zero format. That way you get rid of any bugs you may have.

To share with you, I had a Denial of Service while active in Youtube, it cut my Internet, and the next day I couldn't get my computer started... re-installed it all, and a week later the same thing appeared - all out, re-install everything. That's when I decided to BUY a security program. No problems since.

Not knowing you, not knowing your contacts, I can't say very much. All I can say is, check your contacts. And use the various security tools that Browsers offer.

Best of all. :)

Back