Windows 7 Crash on initial setup - windows 7 x64

Dave Thompson

Set-up isn't finishing as the install will crash BSOD 0x0116 with atikmag.sys causing the problem.

(**Note, there is NO Minidump found after this crash - I"ve looked... and looked.. and looked... so I took a digital photo of the BSOD screen in the moments it flashed)

I can't complete the install using safe mode, but in safe mode I can get to the part where set-up is trying to finish.

So, how can I force the install to bypass graphics card driver install and install a standard SVGA driver until I can get the thing to finish set-up???

Dave

Most of the things I can find on the net is to use the latest drivers. I do not know if you can install graphics drivers at the prompt during install but you could check.

If you can use safe mode, is there an option for advanced settings at the F8 key which might show the basic video or ignore driver signing options?

Option of using another video card?

The bios settings will often allow you to use the built in VGA settings.

Here's what I finally did...

Hitting F8 and forcing VGA mode did not work. It was unable to complete set-up in safe mode.

While trying this the BSOD was a bit different, the stop error was 0x00EA and the verbage indicated an endless loop from the driver.

So... I renamed the offending file, atikmag.sys. What could I lose?

This forced Win 7 into a VGA mode. Set up completed.

Then the BSOD hit after Win 7 tried loading the latest drivers for the video card. I had to roll it back. There is something about the Win 7 drivers for ATI video that is causing a problem.

@Rak - the bios in this MB has no setting for onboard VGA versus PCI_Express. The installation of a graphics card into the slot bypasses onboard automagically.

So you are saying there was not an option to use basic video from the F8 advanced options mode---not safe mode? Since I never had the opportunity to try it, I did not know if it was possible.

So you are saying there was not an option to use basic video from the F8 advanced options mode---not safe mode? Since I never had the opportunity to try it, I did not know if it was possible.

F8 gave me the option of forcing VGA mode, but it was still trying to load the driver that isn't working.

Safe mode can't be used to finish set-up....

Now I have other issues I"m working. No sound and unsigned Airlink drivers. :mad:

I wish I had a way to confirm what you are saying. I do not doubt you, but I do not know your install situation since you did not state it in your postings.

I understand Safe Mode is not an option, so no more responses are required for that situation.

If you can access the advanced options, and I still cannot tell for sure from your responses, using the basic video options should not have loaded the ATI drivers.

If you currently have a working OS and are trying to upgrade, possibly uninstalling your video adapter and uninstalling the prior drivers might keep any prior drivers from loading.

If the driver causing the problem is loaded by Windows during the install process, perhaps not allowing internet access could keep that from happening.

Otherwise, thanks for the info and hopefully others can benifit.

Back
Top Bottom