Windows 8 Create zip files

Nope.... just right click the file or folder you wish to convert to a compressed archive and select "Send To" and then "Compressed (zipped) folder"
You should see it appear with a dot zip file extension.

I want to put several files that are on my desktop into just one zipped file. How do I do that? I tried and it just created another zip file. Thanks.

In the case of individual files, you'll want to place them into a folder and then use the same technique to compress (zip) the folder and it will compress the folder and contents.
Be aware that some file formats cannot be effectively compressed so you may see very small changes in their respective sizes.

In the case of individual files, you'll want to place them into a folder and then use the same technique to compress (zip) the folder and it will compress the folder and contents.
Be aware that some file formats cannot be effectively compressed so you may see very small changes in their respective sizes.

I got it to work - thanks a lot. Is there a maximum mg that can be compressed and emailed? I have tried to email 6 separate photos in an email as an attachment and it wouldn't work, said it was too large. I have several to send and am hoping zipping them would allow me to add more. Thanks.

Unfortunately photos, typically in jpg format are one of those files that I mentioned above which are not too compressible much beyond their present size. What you will likely need to do is re-size the images in order to make them smaller.
If you have installed a default email client like Outlook you can typically select multiple photos and then choose "Send To" -> "mail recipient" and then you should be given an opportunity to make them smaller to keep the overall file size underneath any restriction set by your mail host.

Back