Windows 7 critical administrative event 41 windows 7 computer random shutdown during gaming

Niko92

I have been having an issue with my system just simply shutting down without any warning almost as if a power outage occurred. No blue screen no notifications nothing. It has happened 4 times now while playing a game in particular. When the power goes out I cant turn the computer back on for about 2 minutes or so. I initially thought it was a cpu heating issue since i had a stock cooler, I changed it for an evo 212, but the same issue applies. Could it possibly be the PSU, even though it powers the computer 99% of the time and fan seems to be working fine? I went back into the windows event viewer and I have a link of the past week of errors that have been occuring, I just dont know what they mean. any help?https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=42B9E1D1DBB4DB7C%...
specs are as follows: amd 8350 4.0ghz, gigabyte 990fx mobo, gtx 760 nvidia gpu, 650W PSU silverstone ac input 115-240Vac 60-50Hz, 8 gb ddr 3 ram.
temperatures doesnt reach more than 58 degrees under full load usually around 50 range.

this is the most recent incident.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/28/2014 1:52:31 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: NickKanarev-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-28T17:52:31.538808700Z" />
<EventRecordID>9354</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>NickKanarev-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Attachments

• Errors.zip
    23 KB · Views: 174
  • NICKKANAREV-PC-Sat_08_30_2014_124631_55.zip
    569.6 KB · Views: 266
the psu is quite old id say a good 7 years if not more, thats the only part that i kept from my old machine. 650W PSU silverstone ac input 115-240Vac 60-50Hz. the temps of the gpu doesnt exceed 50 degrees and motherboard doesnt seem hot either i use hwmonitor for temps. I did do the chkdisk as well. I did realize that my bios seems a bit outdated idk how much of an impact that would make. I went ahead and disabled sleep mode in case the problem has to do with that. It seems that most of the cases have happened when the computer has returned out of this mode and upon entering a game. I have not confirmed that however.

Last edited:
You seem to be getting quite a few errors concerning the USB charger. You might try turning that off in the bios if you can. If there is any software loaded for it, you might consider uninstalling it just in case.

I will also see if I can find anything definite by searching for:

The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition

I would also set windows updates to manual and disable the skydrive so that they can be removed as possible lag points.

ok how would i go about finding the usb charger? I cant seem to find it. there is an option in the bios for onboard usb device and it is enabled. should i disable it?

I cant seem to locate anything in the bios that applies to the usb issue. My bios is quite outdated I know for a fact. I adjusted the windows power options under usb selective suspend setting and tried disabling that. It didnt seem to fix anything. Would something like the usb charger be a reason for a shutdown in the first place? it seems like the error only appears during booting. Is that significant enough? Does it have to do with not getting enough power from the psu or simply an outdated bios?

I was able to come across a program installed called on/off charge that was installed at the time of the mobo. Its a gigabyte thing for charging apple products that am aware of. Would possibly uninstalling that fix my issue?

That particular app has been known in the past to cause bsod and we do advise users to remove it during debugging so it's perhaps worth a try. I'd also update your bios if only to rule it out from possible suspects.

alright I uninstalled the program and it seemed to fix that problem with the usb charger. Now would that solve the kernel power shutdowns? Does anyone seem to think that the PSU is contributing at all with any of this? It seems to power the computer fine, however, I dont know if it would hurt upgrading it. I just wanted to confirm with any of those events if the issue was indeed a power issue or not. Other events like: the platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition kinda scared me into a more serious issue. Possibly updating the BIOS would adjust these issues along side a newer PSU, but i just want to confirm in case there wasnt anything else minor to fix.
I appreciate your guys quick responses and help.

Getting a new PSU is probably a good idea in the long run as they lose power efficiency with age. As to whether either the outdated Bios or your PSU are linked to the issue all i can say is it's possible. Pin-pointing causes and trouble shooting issues can sometimes be a long process where your only course of action is to rule out what isn't causing it.. This means possible variables like the bios for example.

Does anyone seem to think that the PSU is contributing at all with any of this?

almost as if a power outage occurred

Was the first thing to pop into my head but was it the power box itself or some other part that got zapped over time and now cuts out under load is much harder to say. On the other hand, a new power unit ($50-80) isn't that big a hit on the budget and will transfer into the next system when the time comes so... I'm with Kemical.

Thank you guys for your help. Is there any PSU you guys recommend for my system as far as brand and wattage? I know Antec and Corsair are pretty well known.

It is a PS issue mostly as when it gets shut down after getting into some game more often. The games take more heat and need more fans to make the system cool down. It is more likely to buy a new one and wish it will help you out with the restarting or you mean it shut down and no restart. In PS issue it always start over again and shut down when it is almost broken. If you use the PC smoothly and when only play this one game that happens. I say the game is an online game and a server thing so it is may be a hack thing as only say. Check for spies and viruses before do the buying new PS as after that hope things will be fixed.

Thank you guys for the posts. I ordered a new psu. Something really strange that i noticed was seeing MARVELL Virtual Device SCSI Array Device on my taskbar and I have the option to safely remove device.. It is almost as something is plugged in, however, nothing is. What is that?

Niko try opening up the storage manager found under computer management via admin tools in the control panel. (Device manager may help too) Have a look to see if a virtual disk been enabled.

Back