Windows 7 CRT Anti-Glare Filters

Heaven or Hell

So I understand that CRTs generally emit higher radiation and cause more stress/strain to the eyes than LCDs, for the most part. Right?

Also, are anti-glare filters for CRT monitors also radiation blockers? Because that's what I'm really after - something that can block radiation from by 1995 Sony Trinitron monitor, and prevent eye strain.

If the answer to the second question is yes, would someone say then that an anti-glare screen protector does the same thing? Could I simply buy that and have the same effect an anti-glare filter (the thing you place over the top of your monitor that looks like a window) would give?

Thanks for the help.

They were very limited by the fact that they generally obscure the screen so much that you have to pump up the contrast and brightness which effectively nulls the point, personally never had any issues with eye strain, just drop the contrast and brightness manually and make sure you sit over 3ft away from the screen, which avoids the problem without the need for such a gimmick. Also check the screen resolution, higher refresh rates often cure the eyestrain issue, 75hz+ is generally best... 50-60hz usually causes eyestrain on CRTs, unlike LCD which have virtually no impact on 50-60hz.

Last edited:
How would that null the point if the filters supposed to be anti-radiation? If what you said was true then it'd hardly be any different than tinted glass.

If the filter's anti-radiation, then they make it come with a "grounding wire" (found this out after I started the topic), but I'm not sure where this grounding wire's supposed to go...

Well there's basically two kinds of filter these days, the newer "Anti-Glare" ones and old style "Mesh" ones, but as I said, if you use a filter the screen will be darker etc and you may have to boost the contrast and brightness which increases the radiation hence makes them a bit pointless considering the very low amount of radiation we are talking about. Add to that most CRTs had to conform to low emmition rulings after about 1998, so make's them pretty redundant items unless your monitor is from the stone age of computing. These days Filters are mainly bought for anti-glare/privacy (As they block viewing angles), not anti-radiation. It's also worth stating that most of the radiation on old CRTs is at found at the sides and rear of the monitor, rather than the front, as they normally used a very thick glass at the front which greatly reduced the issue anyway.

Note: Grounding wire is for static which can build a charge on the filter and shock you if wasn't grounded on the old mesh style ones.

Note2 : personally I rate wireless devices a far greater risk to health.

Further reading you may find useful - Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Wow, awesome response! Thanks for that bit. Before I even read it I was thinking not even dealing with the filters pretty much (but...umm...you said after 1998? I think this Sony Trinitron was made at around that year, so I can't be sure if it underwent the regulation you speak of. But, it is Sony and I'd imagine such a reputable company would've taken part in it). Either way, the initial reason I was no longer planning on using the filters was that I decided not to mainly use my CRT monitor after all, and just stick to my laptop (which originally wasn't for the purpose of studying for college, since it's mainly my entertainment/leisure laptop, but due to circumstances that'll have to change for just one semester). By this Spring I should definitely have a laptop for school that I'll be taking in and out of home freely. I'm the kind of guy who likes to keep things like this separate if you know what I mean (since taking electronics outside it'll be exposed to a degree to things such as varying temperatures, dust, the possibility of it getting dropped and of course, more wear and tear).

Last edited:
no problem, I remember having to hunt all this stuff down back in the days when I had CRTs (tbh I can't imagine using them now after 10 years with LCDs)

Anti-glare filters are useful if you cannot move your monitor into a different position to prevent reflections from light sources. But, they put a film or cover over the screen that does affect image quality - not enough for some people, way too much for others.

Anti-radiation filters are no more than gimmicks. Period. There is absolutely NO evidence anywhere, not from OSHA, the FDA, CDC, New England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet, or ANY health and safety related organization that reports CRTs emit harmful radiation, or that you will start glowing or become riddled with cancer if you sit in front of a CRT monitor all day. If that were true, there are several generations (billions!) of people who grew up in homes with CRT TVs during the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond who would all be dead by now or have 3-armed children.

Link Removed due to 404 Error
X-radiation emissions from properly operated TV sets and computer monitors containing CRTs are well controlled and do not present a public health hazard. The FDA standard, and today’s technology, such as electronic hold-down safety circuits and regulated power supplies, have effectively eliminated the risk of x-radiation from these products. FDA has not found TVs that violate the standard under normal (home) use conditions.

"Normal" use. So, unless the CRT monitor has bounced off the floor a couple times, there's nothing to worry about.

I'm starting to think I want an anti-glare/protective stick-on for my LCD laptop screen. We had some screen-protector thingies at one of my previous jobs, and while the idea was more to protect frequent travelers' screens against scratches, they also worked great to cut down on glare.

It isn't the glossiest screen ever, but recently I've been using it in a lobby area with a lot of windows, and the reflections are getting on my nerves.

Laying a glare-reducing film on there will doubtless dim the screen a bit, but the screen has brightness to spare. I usually operate it at no more than 60% of maximum, because the highest setting is just too bright.

Much like Digerati I think screen filters are a placebo... but for anti glare i suppose they have their uses.

Right, I don't buy the "radiation" concerns. I get much more "radiation" walking to and from classes than I've ever received from a CRT.

The anti-glare/screen protector sheets are a bit expensive, however. I'm not seeing them for any less than $21, unless you purchase in bulk. Seems steep for a big plastic sticker.

Right, I don't buy the "radiation" concerns. I get much more "radiation" walking to and from classes than I've ever received from a CRT.
Right - especially with that cell phone (an RF transmitter!) right next to your head.

Although CRTs do not emit harmful radiation (or anything harmful for that matter), is the claim true that, nonetheless, there is more emission from the sides and back of the monitor? I suppose this is so since the glass screen is the greatest shield on the thing, and because the sides have all sorts of vent-like openings where you can pretty much see the inner-workings of the monitor...

And I believe this is a pre-'99 monitor, but I'm glad the back label of my Sony Trinitron says it's tested to meet radiation-emitting electronics standards.

PLEASE - stop obsessing about this. It is a non-issue. Period. As suggested weeks ago, you need to send any CRTs you have to your local electronics recycle center and get an LCD monitor.

Well one, I like the look of the monitor in general where it is and it makes no sense to throw it away when it's still good, and I'm not really obsessing about that, since I've been convinced already that radiation isn't an issue. I just asked if that statement above was true.

And LCD monitors (good ones) aren't that cheap and makes no sense to spend that much money and throw away a CRT that I like...

I wish CRT monitors were still an option. My primary display is a 21" NEC AccuSync 120. Would rather have had a Trinitron tube, but by the time I went shopping, the AccuSync was all that was available.

I suppose I'll have to convince myself to lay down big bucks for a Dell Ultrasharp when the AccuSync dies/goes out of focus. IPS panels are nice, and you can still get the Ultrasharps in 16:10 resolutions (e.g. 1920x1200) for now, but boy are they priced accordingly.

Last edited:
Back