Windows 7 D drive icon missing

cbart1

Hi my D drive icon has gone, the drive is working other than this, also to mention my Western Digital My Book can open folders but says all are empty when on vista and xp they are full. when i first installed windows 7 pro everything was fine but has updated about 50 updates since and now this thanks:(:( just to mention when booted in safe mode the icon is ok

AMD Phenom quad core
8GB RAM
Nvidia 1GB graphics card
1TB samsung F1 spinpoint sata as D drive
western digital 500GB as C drive

There have only been 10 actual windows updates. There may have been some I have hidden because I do not allow Windows to update my hardware drivers.

The drive is not empty, I assume, because it may be hidden if it is.

I assume it is one large partition?

I don't know what is wrong, but I would first try to simplify the system. Remove the flash drive. Do you actually have two DVD drives?

How are your drives connected? You have 2 internal drives that are SATA? An an eternal drive that is ???

Was the external drive used with some type of backup software which might have marked it somehow?

A picture of Disk Managment might help, it gives more information about the actual drives.

Have you loaded any chipset drivers other than the ones Windows installed?

hi the flash drive is just my kodak printer which is not connected all of the time just when needed but it has a memory card reader on. the dvd drives are both IDE I have a 500gb sata drive which is c and 1TB which is d, the WD my book is a usb drive which i connect when my backup is due once a month which just happened to be while i took the screen shot otherwise it is disconected, when i installed windows 7 i installed the drivers for my motherboard from the dvd but whether they installed or whether windows installed its own i am not sure. thanks for getting back so quick

The DVD drives, you have one set as master and one as slave? I have always heard DVD drives do not like being slave drives, so you might try disconnecting the slave to test.

Keep the external drive disconnected until you get the other problems straighteded out.

If that doesn't help I would look into using the chipset drivers for the manufacturer which might help. Also a bios update could be beneficial, but hard to say.

You are not running any type of RAID on your system?

If you get a chance, get us a diskmgmt.msc picture.

There have only been 10 actual windows updates. There may have been some I have hidden because I do not allow Windows to update my hardware drivers.

The drive is not empty, I assume, because it may be hidden if it is.

I assume it is one large partition?

+1 on not allowing Windows to update the drivers. Get them direct from the manufacturers site.

Right-click on the drive icon,. choose Customize tab then Choose file

Navigate ti the C:]windows\system32. look doe imageries,.dll and shell32,.dll.''The icon is in one of those files.

Right-click on the drive icon,. choose Customize tab then Choose file

Navigate ti the C:]windows\system32. look doe imageries,.dll and shell32,.dll.''The icon is in one of those files.
Reg, that's imageres.dll and shell32.dll in C:\windows\system32 and that won't work because the search only shows folders not .dll's.

I change the icons of my system partitions using a free applet called FreshUI.
It has a feature that allows you to change or add an icon of your choosing.

Home - FreshUI

Below is a link to a screen shot showing Fresh UI opened to the section used to make the icon change.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/fjgold/Untitled-25.jpg

Clicking the "pick your icon" button opens the default shell32.dll location with many icons to choose from
or browse to C:\windows\System32\imageres.dll

Below is a screenshot of the icons in My Computer after changing.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/fjgold/Untitled-26.jpg

I have a folder full of icons (about 170 MB worth) that I use to customize most of my icons including desktop icons etc.

Last edited:
NICE,,.

That's cool:cool:

I've used Freshui in the past but I don't recall that feature.

Thanks reghakr, as I mentioned earlier I have a large collection of icons to personalize all my shortcuts etc.
I used a free program called IconsExtract to extract and save icons from files and folders on my machine.
I set the program to search my C:\ drive including subfolders.
It takes awhile but it finds all the icons and offers to save them.
This is a stand alone program.
You just unzip the program to a folder and place the folder anywhere you want and create a shortcut to the .exe.
The first time you use the program it will create the default save folder in it's own "install" folder.
It even includes a help file.
For simplicity sake I "install" my copy of IconsExtract to U:\Program Files, "U" being a partition where I install all my standalone apps.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html

Last edited:
I have one called All media Grabber.

Man are there hundreds of thousands of icons,. gifs,.ANI's, ASF's,, AVI's,. etc

All in all 25 for,formats:eek:

Back
Top Bottom