Windows 10 Daily BSOD crashes.

Turned surge protector off, and got another BSOD. I'm starting to think my PSU might be the issue, is that a possibility?

Attachments

• 082118-21953-01.dmp
    496 KB · Views: 358
I see someone already answered but yes it's a possibility.

I'd also check your cabling.

I'll check on the dump file and post back.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {6001, ffffffffc000000e, 6f50000, ffffad0e2d688d90}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
if your psu is in doubt then you'd probably find your machine blue screening when it's stressed so try running something like Prime95.

Monitor your system temperatures using HWiNFO64 as this keeps a record of least, max and average temps attained.

How old is the PSU?

Did you check Device manager for any yellow marks?

Also if you have surge protectors on everything i wonder if one or more have become faulty in some way.

Is it possible for you to cut down on some or try a different arrangement?

Oh and turn the verifier off after 24hrs.

Do make sure you reboot with it running as drivers are stressed on start up.

My PSU is 2/3 years old, no yellow marks in device manager. What i should do in prime95? just run a blend stress test?

Yup, try that for an hour or so unless you see temps get critically hot ( 85C+ ) in which case stop the test.

Ran stress test for a little over an hour and PC did fine, got another blue screen later on though.

Attachments

• 082218-18484-01.dmp
    895.3 KB · Views: 350
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 154, {ffff80047e8f0000, fffff10889a96390, 2, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Followup:     MachineOwner
So where did you get to regarding surge protectors? As the machine reacted after you made changes in this area it might be worth pursuing?
As your sockets have built in protectors try, if you can, moving to another outlet/socket.

Drivers.
I've gone trough your drivers/apps but nothing jumped out as a possible suspect so consider anything third party as suspect.

Go through your applications and anything which is either old or no longer used either update or remove.

Lastly, if you only installed Windows 10 on the drive once then I would try a further clean install.

I've clean installed windows onto it twice, the only programs i have installed on it are: steam(dota 2), spotify, google chrome, discord, winrar, and notepad++. They are all up to date. I've plugged my pc directly into the wall now instead of plugging it in the surge protected power strip. I'm not sure if its responded to anything as its very inconsistent. Sometimes it won't happen for a while, sometimes it just keeps happening repeatedly. Usually when it crashes i am running a demanding game.

Usually when it crashes i am running a demanding game.
See how you go with the socket change but if you do bsod again this time run a stress test on the gpu.
Furmark is a handy tool for stressing the gpu and can be found here: FurMark > Home

Something else to consider if your only blue screening with a demanding game is overheating. I don't just mean with the gpu but also the cpu.

The temps may seem fine when evrything is quiet ingame but once the mayhem starts temps can quickly rocket. I know this from experience and was actually shocked to see how hot the cpu was actually running at.

If you use HWiNFO64 when gaming you'll get a history of lowest, highest and average temps gained.

Alright so yeah, almost every time i stress tested my GPU it blue screened. Where should i go from here?

Attachments

• W7F_23-08-2018.zip
    447.3 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Hi,
the dump files were similar to your last which shed no light on the gpu situation.

As you see no blue screen when stressing the cpu leads me to think that your PSU is probably ok otherwise you'd bsod whatever you stressed.

Try reducing the clocks on the card first and see if that helps.

Reduce the core as well as memory by 100mhz and test again.

See if you can get to a point where the machine/gpu doesn't crash

Check the card over for dust build up plus did you monitor the temps at all as it may simply be overheating?

did you monitor the temps at all as it may simply be overheating?
I did, and i don't think its an overheating issue as they crashed a lot at about ~60C and maxed out around ~85C.
Now as with the clocking, im not too familiar with it. I tried lowering the core clock speed as well as memory and i still crash, however i noticed something i thought was weird. My core clock only goes to 540 MHz when im pretty sure my graphics card should be capable of a lot more than that (GTX 960).
1535157395094.png

Hmm.. Try reseating the card and then checking what GPU-Z say's:
TechPowerUp

Also another app to check and make changes is the following app:
MSI Global

See if they say anythng different.

All those programs seem to give me different information. One thing i noticed is that if i turn anti surge protector on and i run the gpu stress test, it will immediately trigger and turn my PC off. So i definitely thinking there is something fishy going on between my PSU/GPU. I turned my clocks as low as possible to no avail. in fact, when i did that i got an error saying "overclock failed" on my next startup.
1535224405775.png

Last edited:
One thing i noticed is that if i turn anti surge protector on and i run the gpu stress test, it will immediately trigger and turn my PC off.
As i mentioned above when you stress test the cpu the system runs fine so I'm not convinced it's totally down to the psu just yet.

One thing that keeps cropping up is this 'surge protector'. You say above that if it's turned on the gpu will crash under stress testing.

Have you tried stress testing without the surge protector enabled?

If no bsod occurs then you might be looking at a faulty surge protector?

Back