Windows 8 Danger Will Roninson Danger

Re: Danger Will Robinson Danger

DrWho, I have that same problem with the Metro UI turned on. When I put a new icon on my desktop, then move it to where I want it to be, it wont stay there. It will randomly jump back to where it was created at. Then after a while it will just stop doing that and stay where I want it to. No reason or rime. If just dose it by it's own will. I have yet to figure out why it dose that. Not even sure I ever will.

I never did get things to settle down and behave, till I restored the shsxs.dll file and ran the Registry Tweak,
to shut off the Metro UI. That thing, at least right now, is pretty worthless. It may be more useful in the
final release, with apps that actually work. And a touch screen wouldn't hurt either.

I love my new Win-8 desktop.

Besides being pretty, it's highly functional.
MyDeskTop.jpg

I still have a few things that don't work right in Win-8, but I feel sure they will, eventually.
Win 8 is really not that far removed from Win 7. But as some have reported, it certainly IS
much faster.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't seen any performance in crease in my system from 7 to 8. Part of the reason could be the system that I am using. With out changing out hardware, there is not software way to increase performance. Well that would be in my opinion. If you look at my profile there is a full speck on my system. Let me know if I am wrong.

I think the biggest performance increase I see is at boot. Win 8 DP boots much faster. Since I use a dual boot senario rather than a VM, I have to log off Win 7 to boot to Win 8 DP and vice versa. Booting to Win 8 DP is much faster in my system.

I use a dual boot as well. The interesting thing about that is that from the initial start it starts booting Windows 8. So from the time that the DP screen starts it is getting ready to finish booting into 8. If you choose to boot 7 or earlier, it restarts your computer completely and then boots into the older OS. So from my stand point it doesn't really have a faster boot time, just works differntly.

Years ago, I lost an entire HD because of a Boot manager gone AWOL.
That one bad experience taught me a lesson that I don't want to repeat.

So now I have several HD's with different OS's on them and well as a storage
partition for backup images of C:.

A few days ago, I spent most of the day, jumping back and forth between
Win-7 and Win-8 and both are tweaked for optimum performance, so they
come pretty close to matching my VERY FAST hardware.

Naiya, I would love the opportunity to sit down at your keyboard for a while.
I'd bet you a free lunch, that I could almost double the efficiency of either or
both of your OS's. Microsoft builds into its OS's a ton of SAFE DEFAULTS,
that throttle down the OS like a Governor on a Diesel truck.
If you have a decent HD (SATA II, at least) and enough RAM to run the OS
efficiently, Winders can be tweaked and tuned, to run at hardware speeds.

Edit: I did look at your PC's spec's and it looks sufficient to run just about
any OS you want to run. Did you set the number of cores you have, in Windows?
Did you set your startup delay, from 30 sec's to 3 sec's?e If you'll do those two
simple things, you can shorten your boot time.

I'm not guessing or surmising, it's what I've done for a living for many years.

I did one guy's computer in California, via 'Team Viewer' while he sat there and
watched, as we chatted on the phone while I worked. He's an IT guy for a large
bank and he was blown away by what I did to improve the performance of his
PC. I'm too old for sex, and too broke to travel, so optimizing PC's is my Hobby,
my passion as well as my vocation.

Both Win-7 and Win-8 (on my PC) have been optimized to get the best out of
my hardware and Win-8 is definitely faster. I boot up (Win-8) in less than 20 sec's and
shut down in 5 to 8 sec's. It's comparable to my Windows XP-Pro-SP3 for speed.
Win-7 is a DOG, slow to boot and slow to shut down. I'm so glad that I'm not stuck
with having to run that as my main OS, as so many other people are.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason my Index is so low on 7 is my hard drive. It is only a SATA, even though my ports are SATA II. I could get better performance out of it by replacing the HDD. Though I wanted space over speed. The 2.5 minute boot time from pressing the power to fully booted and logged on is not bad at all. Especially since I only reboot when needed. My computer has not been powered off since like June, when I cleaned out the case. My brother just gave me a few old computers he had. Most of them are old HT P4 machines and a few Core 2 Duos, one is a Core 2 Quad. So in all about 7 new computers I have to play with and 6 motherboards that need a case. I hardly ever pay attention to the speed of an OS, well past the functionality of production software. I focus more on the use of the computer from the stand point of is it working. I guess I fall in a rut to where I start thinking that if it aint broke, don't f-ing touch it. Thinking about it, I am going to start looking into ways to tweak my system. One thing that I hate is the, disable aero, get rid of the themes, uninstall the .net, it is all resource hogs and is never used at all. That kind of stuff really annoys the hell out of me. If you are not going to use the things that come with the OS, why did you pay $300 for it. Also the stupid idea that .net is never used, just because you never use software called firefox.net or Fallout 3.net. Then they call themself a computer Power User. I have forgot more than you know about computers. But any way that is a rant that is better off not going further in to. Sorry.

The user versions of Windows were never designed to be run 24x7. Only the 'Server' versions were designed for that.
There are things that windows needs to do that can only be done during shutdown, so don't shoot yourself in the foot
by not shutting down your PC on a regular basis.

I did the SATA I thing, till I finally got a SATA II capable motherboard and I promptly upgraded to SATA II hard drives.
Now I have a SATA III hard drive (6GBM) but only a SATA II motherboard. I do have a SATA III controller card, but,
it doesn't seem to want to work with XP, only Win-7.

I may have to move my XP setup to a SATA II hard drive and use the SATA III HD for windows 8.
Bootups will slow down by a few seconds, as the BIOS on the SATA III controller card is recognized by the
motherboard. A small price to pay for the increased read/write speed of the SATA III drive.

Assuming that I actually build myself a new PC some day or install a new motherboard in this one, it's going to have
to have SATA III and USB III capability.

I just replaced all the Bad Caps on my current mobo, to try to get a few more years of service out of it. So far,
so good. It's once again running GREAT!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Back