Windows 7 Date retrieval from XP to Windows 7

Quad Core

Just had a new computer made up using Windows 64bit OS. I installed the old disc drive from my failing old computer as a slave drive, which I was using XP on a 32bit system expecting it was going to be easy to retieve all my data files. What a mistake that is turning out to be !!! Does anyone out there know how I can do this ? The files where password protected is this causing the problem? I guess I have the option of taking the drive out and re-installing it in the old system and then try to download the data into something useable for the new system. Again which is the best way of doing this? If at all it is possible.

Quad Core;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It's likely that you are going to be interested in the files contained for the most part in your old (XP drive) Documents and Settings folder.
Try using this utility Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek
to take ownership of a folder and see if that helps. Even after taking ownership of a folder you may still have to examine the properties of the folder and look under the security tab and make sure that your current username has explicit rights to access it.
Keep us posted and thanks for joining our community
Regards
Randy

It may depend on what kind of files you mean by "data". If these are your docs, private correspondence, spreadsheets etc, then, in the end, I think the most expeditious way may be that suggested by yourself. You should take off the password protection and transfer the wanted files to, say, a cd or similar.

Hi
Thanks for the response. I ofcourse ment "DATA". You are right the error message I keep getting is "you dont have ownership of these files" even though I generated them Ha! Ha! Will try your route when I get home from work tonight. Thanks
Quad Core;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It's likely that you are going to be interested in the files contained for the most part in your old (XP drive) Documents and Settings folder.
Try using this utility Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek
to take ownership of a folder and see if that helps. Even after taking ownership of a folder you may still have to examine the properties of the folder and look under the security tab and make sure that your current username has explicit rights to access it.
Keep us posted and thanks for joining our community
Regards
Randy

Whilst I still have the old system, taking the old drive out of the new system and re-installing it to take the password off and perhaps transfer the files into a PDF format I want to keep as a last resort. Unless anyone can think of a better way ?

By the way. "Take Ownership" is designed for the Windows 7/Vista environment. Never thought about it before, but perhaps it will not work across files previously locked in XP.

Back