Windows 10 date to buy

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I am going to get a new PC. I do not know if I should wait for a new Windows operating system.
I think Windows 10 is supported fully until 2020 which is just around the corner.
Is there a recommended time to install an Operating system regarding support?

Thank you for the link. I now understand that a new build is somewhat like a new OS in that you can upgrade or get new.
Depending upon circumstances you may have to pay. If building I would be sure to get the latest build as though it were a new OS.

As Neem's say's, so far, each big cumulative update to a new build has been free. Hopefully this will continue but as with anything these days it's possible this could also change.

Hi Peter,
This topic was a discussion on my weekly tech conference call with the East Coast; and EOL dates were discussed. This appears to be right as I've heard both 2020 and 2021 on the Microsoft Insider Hub newsletter E-mails I get regularly as a long-time tester of W10 (3 yrs. next month).

Even though Mainstream support may be gone, which would give you 3-4 years by 2020/2021; driver support will be maintained until 2025 (which as a 10-year lifespan that the Product Manager of W10 (Gabe Abul) mentioned in multiple presentations around the world as well as on streaming video back in July 2015). This should give you about 8 yrs. of total software life or so. The main thing that will change between the mainstream support date (2020/2021) and the EOL date of 2025 will be sort of like what Microsoft did last year with W7 support. They simply changed providing their millions of customers weekly Tuesday push updates and changed that to monthly updates. Next year they may change that to quarterly or bi-annual updates (still in discussion) as W7 EOL date is rapidly approaching in 2019- 2 yrs. After 2019, all support for W7 will be gone, much like XP did back in April 2014 (with a very few exceptions for business customers).

Remember, too, as came up in our conference call discussion; WinXP originally out in 2001, was also supposed to have a EOL of 7-8 yrs. putting EOL dates of 2008-2009 and even earlier out there. However, as you know it went for 13 yrs. (2001-2014); 5-6 yrs.:D BEYOND what Microsoft originally planned on due to the huge numbers of both business and home customers running it long after it's original intended expiration date. :) In that case, occasional updates might still be available for home users as far out as 2028! o_O Those dates are "milestones", and like any long term project, they can be changed to occur either sooner or later than original planned in order to suit marketplace demands and the needs of Microsoft engineering and programming resources.;)

Some food for thought. Your new W10 PC may last longer than you thought!:up:

Best, :shades:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Because I will have a new motherboard, and upgraded with this old one, I will pay for Windows 10 and assume I will have the license mentioned.
After that I will just follow the dots as to what the future holds. I know it will cost more but I would like to get Windows 10 Pro like I have now and not OEM. I think it is $190 as opposed to $119. I don't plan on encrypting my PC but just feel better having that product.
As usual you all have been very professional with your replies.

As I said Peterr this current build will be long gone and we'll be using something different I'm sure.

Understood and I will install the build current at the time.
Incidentally, I wish Windows phones had a better reputation as I would love to get one instead of android.
Would you agree it is better to go with android or iPhone?

I've always personally liked Android. I just won't touch Apple products, but I won't go into my personal opinion of Apple.

I've generally stuck with Samsung phones due to their build quality Edge Note aside. My one gripe about Android is the in-ability to remove the vendor and carrier baked apps without rooting the device. I'm contemplating going with the essentials phone since it's stock android and no garbage apps on it. Essential Products | My Phone is Essential

When I get to my desktop I will look up the phone you're referring to I have a Galaxy S5 and I too have difficulty with apps I cannot remove - bloatware. Also Samsung Google or Verizon chose not to allow nougat so I am stuck with marshmallow and I've only had the phone for two and a half years.
I'll be back at you as soon as I get to my computer.

Understood and I will install the build current at the time.
Incidentally, I wish Windows phones had a better reputation as I would love to get one instead of android.
Would you agree it is better to go with android or iPhone?
I only own a old style cell phone or 'Mobile' lol. A Motorola V3, which i still really like as it's now kinda retro but it does what it's supposed to which is make and receive calls.

I wish to get away from Touch Wiz and Samsung's other different ways of doing things. It seems pure android is hard to get considering manufacturer,carrier and OS all slowly trickling in their bloatware.
Your phone seems to be quite nice but pricey and I wonder how you will avoid these three imposing their bloatware.
Also, Google said they would loosen restrictions regarding the SD card but I only transfer photos and 1 or 2 apps to it. They really are control conscious. I think if I want to do something and there is an issue that's on me but I should have the choice.
I wish I knew your Apple thoughts b/c that is what I want to take for a test drive. It looks good on YouTube.
I really want a Windows one but we all know the story there.
Sorry I drifted off topic.

I only own a old style cell phone or 'Mobile' lol. A Motorola V3, which i still really like as it's now kinda retro but it does what it's supposed to which is make and receive calls.

>>To each his own; I am a tinkerer and like to maximize my devices to the best of my ability. My phone ability is relatively new but trying will hopefully lead to knowledge.

Back