Windows 7 Default to "sign in" screen after 5 minutes of inactivity??

Randtor

Hi,
Windows 7. After 5 minutes or so the computer defaults to the sign in screen. I am running multiple computers exactly alike in my office, and all are fine except this one. I have gone to power settings and assigned 'never' turn off in all the appropriate places. As soon as I click on the sign in button the program that is running is right there, but I need it to be 'right there' all the time.

The settings appear to be the same as my other computers but I am obviously missing something. Any ideas? I am fresh out.....
Thanks for any help available.
Rand

Yes, I have gone through the screen saver settings as well, but thanks for the suggestion. No stone left unturned as it were.
Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated, before I put this pc out on the street in front of an 18 wheeler. :)

Maybe changing some setting would make it easier to track down the problem. Do you have the Power options to require a password after wakeup? I will assume you do not have it set to go to sleep after 5 minutes...

Try changing the Screen Saver just to shake things up. Change it back later, but check the settings. Perhaps it will reset when you do this.

I know of nothing else that will log off your system. Do you ever use the Group Policy Editor and adjust any settings with it?

Do you run any logon or logoff scripts?

Anything in the Event Viewer, which might even be an info entry? It is important to keep track time of when something happens so it might be easier to find and confirm.

If you continue to have problems you might visit the SysInternals site and download their utility called Process Monitor. It keeps a log of your system with which you might be able to see what is signing it off.

Maybe changing some setting would make it easier to track down the problem. I tried setting and resetting several times, no joy.
Do you have the Power options to require a password after wakeup? No. I will assume you do not have it set to go to sleep after 5 minutes... right, I do not.

Try changing the Screen Saver just to shake things up. Change it back later, but check the settings. Perhaps it will reset when you do this. Good idea, already tried that. Shut it down several times and restarted, changed settings, change screen saver, just about everything I know how to do, though admittedly I am a novice in Windows 7.

I know of nothing else that will log off your system. Do you ever use the Group Policy Editor and adjust any settings with it?
I don't know what that is.
Do you run any logon or logoff scripts? I have a program running on the PC, but it is the same program running on an identical PC. Somewhere along the line this PC just started defaulting to the check in screen, whereas the other one does not do that. I will say I am having issues with the program, it is not running correctly and the programmers are having an arduous task trying to figure out why... it seems that it is eating up memory while running, and when the cache gets filled, the prgram just does not respond as it should, requiring us to back out of the program, and open it again. The same problem on both PC's but as I mentioned, this one defaults after 5 minutes of inactivity, the other does not.

Anything in the Event Viewer, which might even be an info entry? It is important to keep track time of when something happens so it might be easier to find and confirm. Not sure what the event viewer is or how to check that, can you give me some insight?

If you continue to have problems you might visit the SysInternals site and download their utility called Process Monitor. It keeps a log of your system with which you might be able to see what is signing it off. OK, I will definitely try that and see if it gives us any insight as to the PC problem, and maybe it might help with the software issue as well, who knows??

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestions, I will try the Process Monitor utility and see if that helps. I'll get back here after and report if anything show up.

Back