Windows 7 Deleting an old opperating system

harleyd

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7. However, It seems as if Windows Vista is still installed on my computer.

When starting up it gives me the option to start up on vista or W7.

How do I delete windows Vista from my computer and free up the space it is using.

Thanks,
James Keeton

Hello James,

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, click the Boot tab and select Windows Vista and choose Delete. If this fails to take the entry out, you can download EasyBCD 1.7.2 to remove the Vista entry from the boot.ini file.

You should now be able to go to Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc and delete the partition, then format it again. You could also choose to make multiple partitions.

Last edited:
Hello James,

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, click the Boot tab and select Windows Vista and choose Delete. If this fails to take the entry out, you can download EasyBCD 1.7.2 to remove the Vista entry from the boot.ini file.

You should now be able to go to Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc and delete the partition, then format it again. You could also choose to make multiple partitions.

Thanks for your reply!!!

I'm in the disk management window. Should I simply click on the vista partition and delete?

Picture for verification. (I just want to make sure)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks,
James

When you right-click on the Vista partition do you have that option?

That depends on whether the partition is marked Active or System. If it's one or the other, you cannot delete it in Windows.

When you right-click on the Vista partition do you have that option?

That depends on whether the partition is marked Active or System. If it's one or the other, you cannot delete it in Windows.

Damn, you're right. I do not have the option of deleting it.

That's not good....

OK, exit out of there.

I can't see your picture in post number 4.

Could you post a screen shot of Disk Management. Make sure to make the window large enough so I can see everything.. Use the same way you posted the last screen shots.

That's what I'm trying to figure out also.

I don't think Windows 7 will install on a 10GB partition.

I just installed the 64-bit version and it took up almost 40GB of my 70GB partition.

weirdness then , as D: shows as empty in the screenshot :confused:

Can you give us more detail about what exactly happened with your upgrade install ?

If you did indeed pick the upgrade option from the installation DVD then I think somethings gone askew, I would then suggest you to perform a custom installation and wipe the drive completely for a more stable and fresh install :cool:

The Windows 7 software is under LSU license so they are allowed to make it available to students. Basically, I downloaded an .iso file, burned it onto a DVD, then followed the installation process. I had already backed everything up to an external drive. There was a folder that said "old windows." I've deleted that (it was very large).

The Windows 7 software is under LSU license so they are allowed to make it available to students. Basically, I downloaded an .iso file, burned it onto a DVD, then followed the installation process. I had already backed everything up to an external drive. There was a folder that said "old windows." I've deleted that (it was very large).

then by the looks of things you simply have a windows 7 installation now, and your windows old folder contained what was saved such as user settings etc from Vista.

simply type winver into the search bar to confirm your windows version and right click rename on your C: drive, to call it something less confusing such as windows 7 instead of Vista64 ;)

Back
Top Bottom