Windows 7 Dell XPS windows getting ready

simball1

My computer runs windows 7. Keeps staying on Windows getting ready. I have tried hard shut downs, disconnected the battery, all the function keys. The only thing that has an effect is F12 but when I select reboot it goes right back to windows getting ready. F2 just shows info that can't take action on. F8 does nothing. I tried to plug in a new keyboard and a thumb drive to see if it would let me reinstall windows. Computer does not notice it. Any ideas?

To find out what is going on:
- how many boot devices are visible in BIOS?
- is there a recovery partition on the C disk?
- which computer, brand and type, are you using?
And in the mean time, look in the manual or on the web pages of the manufacturer how to recover the manufacturer's settings.

To find out what is going on:
- how many boot devices are visible in BIOS?
- is there a recovery partition on the C disk?
- which computer, brand and type, are you using?
And in the mean time, look in the manual or on the web pages of the manufacturer how to recover the manufacturer's settings.
It is a dell xps L321X. when i go to F2 it shows bios version A08. When I go to boot tab from F12 it only lets you select boot priority order. I have been unable to get to a place to actually type instructions like they show online to get to safe mode with F8. On the bottom of the screen it shows F9 for setup defaults. It asks to set up default configuration yes or no. I selected yes hoping it would go back to factory settings but it just goes back to blue screen getting ready.

Dell recommend downloading and using a Backup and Recovery application. It can be booted stand-alone.
It could help you in stand alone mode to restore to manufacturer's settings.
I will keep my fingers crossed.

Dell recommend downloading and using a Backup and Recovery application. It can be booted stand-alone.
It could help you in stand alone mode to restore to manufacturer's settings.
I will keep my fingers crossed.
I was going to download onto my working computer and then put it on a thumb drive. I was then hoping by inserting the the thumb drive it would over ride whatever was going on. However, the stuck computer doesn't acknowledge that the thumb drive was even inserted. The computer won't let me access anything, it goes right to getting ready after turning power back on.

But can you get into BIOS by holding down or pushing some F key right after power on. Look at the splash screen, it should tell you which one. If so you can change the boot device to a CD that you can prepare with the Backup and Recovery Application.

It shows F2 for settings (nothing I can alter) and F12 shows Boot Menu, under that it shows removable drive, under that Hard drive, under that cd/dvd/cd-rw drive, under that diagnostics. there is no cd drive on this computer, only a place to insert a thumb drive.

I am really green with computers. Does removable drive mean that I can use the thumb drive, hit enter and it will retrieve the information from the thumb drive to restart? If so can I download windows 7 homepro onto my good computer to a file, copy onto the thumb drive, pop the thumb drive into bad computer and then hit enter on "removable drive" boot option?

I can't answer that from here (or I don't know). Anyway it is NOT just downloading and copying to some other device.
Any body else?
Or visit a repair shop?

Back