Windows 10 Getting ready for the real Windows 10?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Well one of these days it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get ready to install the real Windows 10.

I don't have any other OS on my system at this time, so as I understand it, I'll have to reinstall Windows 8 from my Windows 8 disk, (I have a real Microsoft windows 8 disk with a serial number) and then let it update to Windows 8.1.

Then update that install to Windows 10.
Will there be a way to download the Windows 10 install and just install it on the drive I have already prepared?

My plan is to wait until a few days ahead of time, and then disconnect the drive that has Windows 10 on it and install Windows 8 to my other drive on a empty 200 gigabyte partition that I have already made.

I assume that once it's setup and booting I can plug the other drive back in and it won't see my old Windows 10 install from the Windows 8 boot and I can just delete it.

Then I'll update to 10 and reinstall all my software back on the drive it's installed on now, which is my D:\ drive.

Seems like a lot of hassle but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to just install Windows 10 without buying a disk.

I was hoping that there would be a way to go from Windows 10 Preview to the real thing by supplying your old Windows serial number, but what I've read doesn't sound like that going to happen.

Does this sound like that's the way it's going to work?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom