Windows 7 denied access to windows backup files

Hi, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
I have used Windows Backup to back up my files to an external hard drive and create a system image.
When I click on the backup folder on the external drive and then dig down to a particular file which I try to open, I get a message to say I have been denied access and am told to click on the security tab.
This opens another window with various tabs: general, sharing, security, customise.
A message says, to continue you must be an administrative user.
I click on continue and a window opens with an invitation to take ownership of the file I tried to access in the first place.
I am asked to select an account, which I do, and then I try to follow the next instruction, and the next, and eventually I end up back on the page in which I am told that access is denied.
In other words I go around in circles.What can I do to be able to open my backup files without having to jump through so many hoops, which in any case don't seem to work? Thanks in advance.

Hi Holdum333. Thanks for your reply. So it's not just me. I'll do as you suggest and use a 3rd party backup programme. My worry is that Windows will still deny me access, so I'll back up one or two files and then try to access them. If access is still denied, I'll phone Bill Gates to complain. Thanks again.

Hi @laurence peddle ! I love my Macrium Reflect. It's very user friendly and may seem over whelming at first, but it's real easy to use.
You can mount the image as a drive. Then you can copy and paste or drag and drop. There are users here that can help you with the program.
I don't think windows will deny Macrium Reflect. I don't think old Bill is around that much any more. If he is, I bet he's catching Hxxx over this W10 up grade! Are you planning on up grading to W10? Make sure you have a image of W7 before you upgrade to W10!

Back
Top Bottom