Desktop Background will not display

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Tutorials' started by Brandon222, May 29, 2010.

1. Brandon222

Brandon222 New Member

I changed my settings somehow when I first purchased my new laptop, which is running Windows 7.

I wanted to turn off my desktop background and succeeded. Unfortunately, I can't get any backgrounds to display now. I have tried going into control panel and changing the background there and the icon in "personalization" changes and shows the thumbnail of the image I am trying to set as my background. However, my desktop remains black.

Please advise as I have tried everything I know how to do.

Brandon

2. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Any idea what settings you changed specifically?

You could try to use System Restore before you made the changes. More information will be needed to find a solution to your problem.

What type of system are you using and what exactly were these changes?

3. Brandon222

Brandon222 New Member

I do not know exactly. It was three months ago and I was trying to figure out, without just looking up a guide, how to disable Aero so that I could use another application-which uses the windows title bar to display data. It wouldn't display the data while using Aero, so I needed to disable that feature temporarily. I found a checklist of some kind that allows you to deselect features and I am about 80% certain that is where I disabled my background.
    I can't find out what I did or how I disabled it even.

System.

I hope this helps!!

I am at a total loss here, as to what to do to fix this.

I figured out how to turn on/off Aero, but the solution to the background not changing is beyond me. I have tried using the personalization settings and it just won't change the desktop background from anything other than a black background. Other desktop items still display fine. I hope this very little and uninformative tidbit helps you troubleshoot this for me.

#3 Brandon222, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. cybercore

cybercore New Member

This may give us a more clear picture. Does the background change if you right-click an image (e.g. such as jpg .bmp) > Set as desktop background ?

1. If your copy of windows is not genuine/activated, it'll switch to a solid black background on startup and every hour.

2. Video card driver can sometimes cause solid black background, you may want to try a different driver version.

3. Get system updates, windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

4. Control Panel > User Accounts -> create and log in to a new account.