Windows 7 desktop icons disappeared info

selfinfliction

hey guys new here.

installed win7 a few days ago and today when booting up all of my desktop icons are gone. everything is still in the c:/users/%user%desktop folder, but nothing will show up on the actual desktop.

not sure why this is happening but seen another post about is as well. you can try two things to fix it:

right click desktop>view>show desktop items

if that does not work (didn't for me)

right click desktop>personalization>change desktop icons>restore default>ok

then do

should come up after that. not sure what the glitch is in it but it seems to be a minor nuisance, easily fixed

Having the same problems as you but none of that worked. I even tried deleting the icon cache so that it could rebuild itself and also tried restore point to no avail. My gadgets are also gone.
Sure would appreciate it if some one could help.

Is your UAC turned on ???
The Gadgets and Folder Icon customization will not work unless UAC is set to at least the minimum annoyance level.
This is what I've found so far, Maybe this is a problem in viewing the desktop also ??

Thank you very much for your help. I don't know what a UAC is but I resolved the problem on my own. First, I found the place where it says to turn the desktop on, at the right side of the taskbar. I did, and my gadgets came back but my icons didn't. By intuition I changed the theme, and that did it.
Thanks again.
Qbnito

UAC = "User Account Control" ... also know as ... "User Annoyance Control"
Found at ... Control Panel >> User Accounts >> Change User Account Control settings

Looks like M$ is trying to force us to keep it turned on

I hate UAC also. I keep it off 100% of the time. Bah!!

If you have 2 monitors. I try this trick [Windows key + P] this toggles to clone and dualview. I toggle it to something other than what I have [dualview] like to clone or single monitor, then toggle it back to Dualview.

Maybe it will work with single monitor also.

Also, sometimes I do the CTRL+ALT+DEL combo to get to the main logoff screen. then I just cancel it.

hope one of those works for you. :)

~TZ

Thank you for enlighteing me on the user account annoyance setting.
Very helpful!!!!:D
Qbnito

The Windows Key+P trick worked for me

I couldn't right-click on the desktop anywhere -- believe me, that was the *first* thing I tried.

Using the Windows Key + P key, the icons reappeared as soon as I switched to single monitor ("Computer only") mode, and stayed visible when I switched back to multimon mode ("Extend").

Signed, Happy Camper.

I just had this issue and for some reason after reboot they were still gone. I did notice that an instance of "Windows Explorer" was still running in the task manager (after reboot because I have folders set to restore on reboot) Once I canceled that instance of explorer, everything re-appeared.

lets roll out SP1 OK! I don't want tyo have to refer to this OS as Bluescreen7 :razz:

Thanks! I tried all other suggestions, but "Windows + p" is the only thing that finally worked for me. After playing around some more...I found that the blank "iconless" screen is what I get when I toggle from "computer only" to "extend".

Last edited:
Only some icons??

Hey guys, i've tried all of the above but still having problems, only 2 icons have shown up, none of the rest? This happened after i reinstalled my touchpad driver and i have no restore points.... Help please!! :)

I found a good reference which describes these problems and offers some suggestions on how to fix them, perhaps it can help you too. Icons on Desktop Hidden, Disappeared or Missing on Windows 7

hey guys new here.

installed win7 a few days ago and today when booting up all of my desktop icons are gone. everything is still in the c:/users/%user%desktop folder, but nothing will show up on the actual desktop.

not sure why this is happening but seen another post about is as well. you can try two things to fix it:

if that does not work (didn't for me)

right click desktop>personalization>change desktop icons>restore default>ok

then do

should come up after that. not sure what the glitch is in it but it seems to be a minor nuisance, easily fixed

ICONS go missing after my computer goes into hibernation?

I've had this problem from the beginning. Only certain icons disappear. I have shortcuts to files on the network at work that stay and shortcuts to files on my computer that stay but I also have both types that disappear.

Help!!!

NETWORK desktop icons disappear leaving local icons

My issue is my NETWORK desktop icons disappear leaving local icons.
After reading this thread, I checked "Diagnosis" under Control Panel. The last instance of disappearing icons was Monday. After returning from lunch... gone. No NETWORK icons. Today, Tuesday, I checked the Diagnosis and noticed it completed Monday at 12:34. So, this probably caused it. However, computer was on and connected to network. How do I correct this? I hate to turn-off this scheduled procedure because it may actually be beneficial to computer (except for network Icons!).

Also, from my blue screen I tried the "Only for Network Icons, Right-Click on desktop>properties>Modify Desktop Icons (on the right of panel) make your choice." Only when I right-click on desktop... no properties?

How do I keep my Network Icons visible?

have Win 7 Ultimate x64 and a ReadyNAS. I put shortcuts for my readyNAS on my desktop. Every Monday the shortcuts to my ReadyNAS disappear from my desktop. None of my other shortcuts or icons on the desktop are affected. I do not have Infrarecorder installed. This is a clean install. the Right click > show icons is always checked.

This some win 7 cleanup routine.

[email protected]
EEI.vstore.com

Explanation of cause : Desktop shortcuts disappear in Windows 7

FOUND ANSWER: Fix Windows 7 Desktop Shortcuts Disappearing

For anyone having recurring dissapearing desktop icons:
Go to :
control panel > system and security > Power options >
Under select a power plan heading :
Is the setting Power 4 Gear Quiet Office (or equivalent) checked ?
If so: change it to Power 4 gear entertainment (or equivalent)
and VOILA!!! ICONS ARE BACK! Restart computer. The icons are still there!!!
Its fixed!
Let me know if this was the same problem you had, and if it worked 4 u?!!!

Re: The Windows Key+P trick worked for me

Thanks - this did the trick!!! Windows crashed and 90% of my desktop icons disappeared. System Restore didn't work, and my User Account Control settings were turned off, so I was pretty relieved to find your posting. I use a 2nd monitor, and did exactly what you said. Everything returned when I used the "Windows Key + P" and switched to single monitor, and remained visble when I went back to extended desktop.

- Another happy camper!

Back
Top Bottom