Windows 7 Desktop is not showing after restart! HELP!

eovi

Help!

I restarted my computer and when i am logging on and the message "preparing your desktop.." shows up, it loads a little while but then it is only a blue background and down in the right corner this shows,
"Windows 7
Evaluation copy. Build 7100
This copy of Windows is not genuine"

What should I do?

Help!

I restarted my computer and when i am logging on and the message \"preparing your desktop..\" shows up, it loads a little while but then it is only a blue background and down in the right corner this shows,
\"Windows 7
Evaluation copy. Build 7100
This copy of Windows is not genuine\"

What should I do?

Hi eovi,

From the way this post is presented here, when I read it an hour ago, I really thought it was a continuation of an on going troubleshoot with a lot of background information about the problem and computer specification (its hardware details and its setup such as whether this computer has another Operating system in a different partition, and software like Antivirus and non-Microsoft firewall etc. ) already exchanged between the poster and the helper and I skipped it.

Now that I saw it unanswered for a while, I read it a few times and realized you have not given any context in which this error is happening. You may know what led to this point ,but your post does not have enough words to describe that to the readers. For anyone to solve a problem , he or she must be able to define that problem and know the circumstances leading up to problem.

Have you been running Win 7 Beta (Bit unspecified) Build 7100 for a while before this happened? If you don't know what computer SPECS would be helpful and how best to post here for others to help you , click the link Link Removed due to 404 Error
I have Windows 7 Beta Bit -32 and Build 7100 and Windows 7 Beta Bit -64 Build 7100 and in my self built test computers with different Motherboards, processors, RAM, Video card and Sound cards [ These are hardware Specifications (SPECS in brief)] and I have not encountered the problem you have mentioned. Your computer specifications, and whether you downloaded a full ISO image of the Windows 7 Bit-32 or 64 and Build 7100 or compiled it, how you burned this to make a Bootable DVD if that is how you have installed this Windows, whether this is an Upgrade Install from an Older Windows VERSION like Windows VISTA or Windows XP, or simply a change of Build Number of the Beta erroneously termed upgrade by many or a Custom Installation on a new partition or reformatted previous Partition - are all helpful information . Otherwise this post does not get the attention it deserves:)

Last edited:
I found the problem now but i cant fix it.

The problem is that the harddrive "C:" is locked with the program BitLocker but i cant unlock it!

This Works

I had similar problems with preparing desktop then a black screen with few icons. After trying many things this worked:-

To FIX IT: (instructions are for Vista SP2 but 7 may be similar/same)1. Press the Start Orb & type “regedit.exe”
2. Right-click on Link Removed - Invalid URL & select run as administrator
3. Select continue if the UAC pimps you.
4. In Link Removed - Invalid URL navigate to:
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\SYSTEM”
5. Look for the “VerboseStatus” key in the right pane. If it is there, then these instructions may not help you. If it is missing do the following.
6. Right-click in any open space in the right pane and select “New\D-WORD (32-bit) Value”. Type the name “VerboseStatus” for the key name and hit ‘Enter’
7. Right-click on the “VerboseStatus” key, select “Modify…” & hit ‘Enter’.
8. Type “0” or “1” as desired…..”0”=false & “1”=true. “0” is the default and it means that when starting & shutting down it will just give the message “Please Wait” if necessary. If the value is set to verbose “1” you will see other messages during starting/shutting down.
9. I BELIEVE YOU CAN SET THAT KEY EITHER WAY AND IT STILL CURES THE PROBLEM. The problem isn’t the setting, it is the absence of the “VerboseStatus” key that causes the intermittent “Preparing Your Desktop” error. If you set the key to verbose i.e., “!” you may see the “Preparing Your Desktop” message among others but, it won’t be an error.

This worked fine for Windows 7 Prem. If your not familiar (as I am Not) with changing reg entries please have a go it was very unexpectedly straight forward.

Like to Know if this helped anyone please post

kkwashy

Re: This Works

Hi kkwashy,

I have a Windows 7 home premium installed in my system. I am facing the problem of having a "black screen as a desktop" and with an additional tag at the bottom saying
"Windows 7
Build 7100
This copy of Windows is not genuine"
Please help me resolve this issue :(

Hi Hassni
Sorry to hear of your problems. I am afraid I am not an expert but if you try the following

......................................................................................................
1. Press the Start Orb & type “regedit.exe”
2. Right-click on regedit.exe & select run as administrator
3. Select continue if the UAC pimps you.
4. In Link Removed - Invalid URL navigate to:
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\SYSTEM”
5. Look for the “VerboseStatus” key in the right pane. If it is there, then these instructions may not help you. If it is missing do the following.
6. Right-click in any open space in the right pane and select “New\D-WORD (32-bit) Value”. Type the name “VerboseStatus” for the key name and hit ‘Enter’
7. Right-click on the “VerboseStatus” key, select “Modify…” & hit ‘Enter’.
8. Type “0” or “1” as desired…..”0”=false & “1”=true. “0” is the default and it means that when starting & shutting down it will just give the message “Please Wait” if necessary. If the value is set to verbose “1” you will see other messages during starting/shutting down.
9. I BELIEVE YOU CAN SET THAT KEY EITHER WAY AND IT STILL CURES THE PROBLEM. The problem isn’t the setting, it is the absence of the “VerboseStatus” key that causes the intermittent “Preparing Your Desktop” error. If you set the key to verbose i.e., “!” you may see the “Preparing Your Desktop” message among others but, it won’t be an error.
..................................................................................................................

Have you tried the above?

The only other things I would do is ask the question on this forum or reinstall windows which is probably a pain.

Its worth printing the above procedure and having a go, its straight forward and if you follow instructions step by step you wont do any harm, you certainly won't make it worse.

If you do not feel confident about the above or have questions please post back.

Hi kkwashy ,

I had actually tried out this solution that you have mentioned in the forum and it did not work for me :( . That is the reason i joined the forum and reqested your help on this issue.

Now that you said to re-install the OS, I even did it... yet i am facing the same issue as before ...

Isn't there any way that I can have a wallpaper on my Desktop :frown: !!!!!!

Hi kkwashy ,

I had actually tried out this solution that you have mentioned in the forum and it did not work for me :( . That is the reason i joined the forum and reqested your help on this issue.

Now that you said to re-install the OS, I even did it... yet i am facing the same issue as before ...

Isn't there any way that I can have a wallpaper on my Desktop :frown: !!!!!!

Could you explain your issue a little bit more? I didn't understand this part "Isn't there any way that I can have a wallpaper on my Desktop"

Hello kkwashy ,

The problem that i am facing is that i am getting a "plain Black screen" as my desktop screen along with note in the bottom-right corner as "This copy of Windows is not genuine".

When i use the options like Personalize->Desktop Background-> select an image as backgroung, nothing happens/changes in my desktop. It shows the "plain black screen" always :(. I tries all the solutions found by me to change my DP to an image, but nothing really worked :( .

The details of my system are these :

1. Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7100) (7100.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700)

2. Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

3. Memory: 2048MB RAM (2 GB)

4. DirectX Version: DirectX 11

5. User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

6. System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

7. DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

8. DxDiag Version: 6.01.7100.0000 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

1. Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

2. Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

3. Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100

4. DAC type: Internal

5. Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_82B01043&REV_10

6. Display Memory: 256 MB

7. Dedicated Memory: 0 MB

8. Shared Memory: 256 MB

9. Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

10. Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

11. Monitor Model: 500G (LG)

12. Monitor Id: GSM3B66

13. Output Type: HD15

14. Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll

If by any chance you are able to figure out why i am unable to set any image/theme for my desktop , please let me know....

hassni
Your problem is not what I experianced and resolved on my machine so the fix I used is usless to you, there are many people on this forum who's knowlage is far greater than mine so I suggest you repost your problem and put as much information out as you can and an expert is sure to help.
Regards kkwashy

Back