Windows 7 Desktop keeps freezing

elakenn628

Firstly let introduce myself my name is Elaine and I am 79 years old and have just started on computers.

I was given my my laptopwhich is 2 years old, details are:-
Satellite L450D-13X
Part Number : PSLY5E-01Y01LEN.
- AMD Sempron™ Processor SI-42
- DVD-RW SuperMulti drive (Double Layer)
- 2048 MB DDR2 RAM (800MHz)
- 39.6cm (15.6") TruBrite® HD (1366 x 768) TFT High Brightness display with 16:9 aspect ratio

and it had Windows XP on which I changed for Windows 7 by doing a clean install,by the way I was told how to do that and I downloaded the prog to see if any of the drivers needed updating but they were OK but now it keeps freezing and yesterday the longest was 1 hour 34 mins.
Is there any way I can stop it happening.
Help please

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!

We can have a look at the system. Please type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. On the screen that opens, use file | save to save the report. Zip the saved file and attach it to a post.

Cool, not a problem. When replying, click the button underneath to "Go Advanced". Then click on the paperclip above where you type to attach it.

Or simply use the paperclip if it's already there above.

Quite a messy situation. Let's get this under control.

1) Download the AVG removal tool from here. Then boot to safe mode for it to remove AVG. Reboot to normal mode and install MSE to replace it.

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Link Removed due to 404 Error

2) Type mconfig in the start menu then press enter. Go to startup tab. Uncheck the box for each of these:

Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
StartCCC
HWSetup
TosReelTimeMonitor
Toshiba TEMPRO
Toshiba Registration
All 3 entries for TOSHIBA Online Product Information
KeNotify
SVPWUTIL
Exit Launcher S
Quicken Scheduled Updates

Hit ok to save and then reboot.

-----------

If you follow this all well, it should definitely take care of things. If you need further help, please post a new msinfo32 report after doing the above.

Good luck and enjoy.

Back